Help Me Pleeze

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help Me Pleeze

While installing a sissy bar the shock stud became stripped. Can anyone tell me if it is removable or how it can be fixed? Do you think it would be a good idea to try to rethread it with a dye or is there a better way? Please any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Brian

P.S. This is on a 1980 GS1100LT

Don't know if you can find it, ther was a post last year about the same thing ?? DO a forum search for shock stud

Comment

Check this thread

Comment

Thank you very much for the link.It is very helpful at least I understand what I am dealing with now. Does anyone think that cutting off the stud boring it out retheadind the hole ind inserting a new peice of stud into it is an acceptable idea or is it just asking for trouble.
        Thanks,
        Brian

Comment

Two things to consider

First is the accuracy of drilling....it is very important that the same angle be maintained.

I would suggest making a jig to align the drill correctly. Just a simple device to guide it.

Then the bolt /stud quality......it must be of hardened steel, not mild stock.

The boring and threading will assure the new bolt has the corrrect angle, but I would suggest doing that, and then having it welded in place.
          Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Just another question since I can't work on it until tomorrow. It's Sunday and everybody is closed and my wife won't let me in the garage. Is it possible to rethread the striped portion of the bolt like with a 9mm dye and try to repair it that way?
            Thank-You very much your help is greatly appreciated.
            Brian

P.S. My wife said I could go into the garage to get the lawn mower out.

Comment

"It's Sunday and everybody is closed and my wife won't let me in the garage. " ............You have to be kidding.

" My wife said I could go into the garage to get the lawn mower out"
              ..............ahhh, more kidding.

heh heh
              Earl

Originally posted by schbr
              Just another question since I can't work on it until tomorrow. It's Sunday and everybody is closed and my wife won't let me in the garage. Is it possible to rethread the striped portion of the bolt like with a 9mm dye and try to repair it that way?
              Thank-You very much your help is greatly appreciated.
              Brian

P.S. My wife said I could go into the garage to get the lawn mower out.
              Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Working...
              X