coil location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

coil location

This may sound very dum, but bear with me. on the 1983 GS 750, I have a shop manual and an owners manual, they mention coil -coil related language, but none of these mention the location of the coil. I think i know what the coil looks like, but so far I have been unsuccessfull to locate it.
    Also, how do you check if the coil is half bad?

Re: coil location

Remove your gas tank. Look at one of your spark plug wires. One end will have the spark plug on it, follow the wire to the other end. The large cylinder it comes from is the coil. The coil is either good or it is bad. It cant be half bad. That would be like being half pregnant. :-) :-)
    a multimeter is required to check the coil resistances. Resistance across the secondary terminals should be 3 ohms. However, anything between 2 and 5 ohms is acceptable according to the Suzuki service book.
    Primary resistance between the spark plug leads/caps should be between 30k and 50k.

Earl

Originally posted by ard
    This may sound very dum, but bear with me. on the 1983 GS 750, I have a shop manual and an owners manual, they mention coil -coil related language, but none of these mention the location of the coil. I think i know what the coil looks like, but so far I have been unsuccessfull to locate it.
    Also, how do you check if the coil is half bad?
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

coil

this is what I got:
      coil that has spark plug # 2 and 3:.
      primery read 4.1 ohm
      checking the plug caps as secondary resistance read 60 k

coil that connects to plug 1 and 4

primary read 4.1
      secondary read: zip, zero, zilch
      so what does this indicates, can I replace the caps separate or it would still be the coils?

Comment

Make sure the plug caps are making a good connection. They unscrew off the wires. Cut back a little of the wire and screw the caps back on. After that if you still get a reading of zero that coil is bad. The 60k reading is a bit high but you can probably get away with it. That could change as well just by making sure the caps are making good contact.

Comment

coil

I just want to thank you all who responded to my request for help, and I feel like I have the greatest expert mechanics in the motorcycle world, but more then that great people willing to help another person.
          It is great to be part of this group
          Keep up the good work everyone.

Ard

Comment

Working...
          X