Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550E Alternator wiring removal / refitting

HELP please,
    Sorry, but I'm a newbie here, (today in fact) and I only found the site when seraching for tips, so I'm looking forward to picking your brains...

Having had a 1980 model for most of a year, it doesn't hold a charge, a friend said its the reg/rec, and atlternator, so, I found replacements on the net too, and checked them out according to the haines manual.

Guess what? The ones on the bike test out the same as the new ones, is trying to replace them a good idea?

Whilst trying to remove the alternator, I asked a much travelled friend if I should expect anything to come out of the alternator case - "No, it should be completely dry" was the answer - I have oil in the original compartment - is he talking pants? Or is this normal? (I think it should be ok - the wires are in a sealed section behind the fixed rubber mount)
    Having got the cover off (I'm getting to the main point - honest) HOW do I get the black painted cover off the top of the starter motor section???
    I can reach the screw on the left hand side, but the one on the right is innaccessible because of the carbs / what looks like a resevoir tap...

Many thanks to all who know about these things for any help at all,

'Bvt (boot)

What tests did you do on the stator and rectifier? What values did you get?

Earl
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

tests on r/r

For the third time of replying!

I checked each combination of pairs of wires for the stator, each had a resistance showing on the meter.

I check the r/r by putting +ve on the Ground (black) and checking against the three wires specified in the manual, (for get the colour combinations), and got 1.0 ohms, then put the -ve on the red, and checked the wires specified, and got no reading (all sounds ok)

Is it me, or are both r/r's busted, as the manual says I should get 0.65 +/- 0.5 ohms reading???

Comment

The best thing to do is go to the Stator pages It gives a complete step by step directions

Comment

Re: tests on r/r

Originally posted by Aebvtivs
          For the third time of replying!
          I've had those days too...

Dm of mD

Comment

Yes, there should be oil in there. The stator runs in a continuous bath of oil. It helps to keep the stator a bit cooler than it would if dry.

You said the bike does not hold a charge.....I would suggest you take a close look at the battery before doing anything else.

Since you have the meter at hand, check the voltage you are getting at the battery after it has been sitting overnight. Then start the bike and see what voltage is coming from the R/R.

If the R/R output is OK, you go back to the battery, fill all cells with water (preferably distilled water), then charge it overnight. An hour after disconnecting the charger, check to see that you have a full voltage count , let it sit another day, and again check the voltage. If it has lost a significant amount (more than half a volt) you might look at replacing the battery.

Bear in mind the most common problem you will encounter on these bikes is poor electrical connections, and they can be anywhere and everywhere.
            Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Working...
            X