Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

symptoms of fuel starvation...?

HELP !

i just put the bike back together after replacing the petcock, oil & plugs and checking the floats on the carbs and installing an in-line fuel filter...(i had a fuel leak that apperaed to be the petock)

it runs however its not firing on all 4 cylinders..

my concern is that when i'm looking at the inline fuel filter i see at trickle at on and a healthy flow at Prime...i'm assuming the flowshould be the same at prime or on after the petcock opens....so that being said if the flow is drastically lean would a side effect be that there wouldn't be enouhg gas for all the cyclinders to fire....? initially (facing forward) 2 3 & 4 were firing....then i switched plugs on 1 & 4 to rule that out and then only 2 & 3 were firing...now only 3 & 4 are firing...however when i run it on prime the engine speed definitly picks up but i still only have 3 plugs firing...i'm thinking its a combination of fuel starvation & 1 bad plug....any thoughts or suggestions..?

Thanks

Phil

When I run my carbs dry what usually happens is that I've been cruising wide open in top gear for a while and I begin to lose power. If you've really got fuel starvation the bike will idle but when you get on to ride away it will stall.

Check your plugs colour to see what's up. I see that you've had them out.

Steve

Comment

if your plugs have sat all winter, change them. they can foul out in time just from sitting. i had that problem on my old GS.

things you should also check or do: hit the carbs with some carb cleaner, to ensure you dont have a plugged jet. while you have them removed, spay out the gas lines that connect the carbs together. my VM carbs have two small rubber peices that connect the carb bodies together, where fuel flows between them. you can get your carb cleaner nozzle in there and spray them out. sometimes overtime those become restricted due to bad gas.

lastly, double check the intake boots for air leaks.

~AOD

Comment

Phil,

Turn the petcock to prime for a few minutes. Turn it back to on if you see any fuel spilling out of the carb overflows. This should allow all carbs to fill their floats. If it fires on all four then you have fuel starvation when the petcock is in the on position. Check the vacuum hose going to the petcock for leaks, maybe the petcock isn't opening far enough. Also, dump the fuel in the tank if it is from last year and try fresh fuel.

Joe
        IBA# 24077
        '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
        '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
        '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

so with regards to checking the vacuum hose should i also check that there is positive suction from the carb..maybe a blockage....and in that case any suggestions how to check that...just run the engine with the hose off ??? i'm guessing that would be a bad idea....

Comment

You can run the engine with the hose off but it will probably run a bit rough. If you run with the hose disconnected the petcock should be completely closed. How do your plugs look?

Joe
            IBA# 24077
            '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
            '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
            '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

all 4 were new so after 30 mins of stops & starts the center 2 were light brown, the outer 2 were more black

Comment

anybody have any thoughts were i could get a replacememt petcock, the dealer is saying $50 and a week (which has turned into 2 or 3 in the past)

bike bandit has the unit for $55 with $20 for an expidited delivery.....

any were else.....?

Comment

http://www.ronayers.com/main.cfm part number 44300-34571, they are the cheapest 62 bucks and usally get stuff in 2 weeks. you have a 82 650g right?

you can also try milwakee cycle recycle http://www.milwaukeecycle.com/

they have bunches of stuff.

-ryan
                  78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                  82 Kat 1000 Project
                  05 CRF450x
                  10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilEkins
                    anybody have any thoughts were i could get a replacememt petcock, the dealer is saying $50 and a week (which has turned into 2 or 3 in the past)

bike bandit has the unit for $55 with $20 for an expidited delivery.....

any were else.....?

Comment

well i called the dealer to see if they could expidite one..and against all the odds they had one in stock so i picked it up yesterday....i'm not sure on the exact odds but i'm looking at this as a sign of karma that this weekend it will all come back together.....now if only the rain would stop...

Comment

Working...
                      X