prime position on fuel tank petcock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

prime position on fuel tank petcock

is it normal for the engine to completely fill up with gas if you leave the prime position on overnight ? i had this happen to me last night, i had ot drian out all the gas out of the crank and crank engine to get all the gas out of the cylinders in my 450, bike seems to be fine and actually running stronger after all this, but i hope it is not hurt, but it seems to be unaffected by it

thanks for anything regarding this

Yes, I believe so.

Change your oil. No doubt gas got in there. It will change the oil's properties, includnig the clutch lubrication. You could be in for some nasty surprises if you don't change the oil.

Michael

Comment

One or two of your inlet needle valves are not closing completely. This is a common occurance and is the main reason we never leave the petcock on prime.

Comment

Not the way to flush the motor but it should be fine, with an oil change
        I would suspect the O ring on the float valve needs to be replaced

Comment

Prime is only to get the bike started after it has sat for more than a couple of days. Still the float valves should have kept things from overflowing. Check the float needles, seats, a seat o-rings. Chances are the o-rings are dried out and shrunken from age.

Comment

yeah i immediately changed the oil

what happened was that i went to crank engine over and the cylinder or both of them were so full of gas that the engine stopped cranking over as if it were locked up, so i was like crap, cylinder is full of gas, so thats when i started draining oil and pulling the spark plugs out.

when i bought the bike last july i was told that the carbs had just been gone through, so technically there shouldnt be anything dried up in them if they were done right. the bike runs great so hmm..

i would need a manual in order to find out how to rmeove the carbs and disasemble them to check these needles and stuff, i am very mechanically inclined and everything, but all from workign on cars and trucks in the last ten years,

thanks

Comment

Even a small leak will give problems in an overnight sit. Don't leave it on prime.

Comment

Originally posted by fast68
                what happened was that i went to crank engine over and the cylinder or both of them were so full of gas that the engine stopped cranking over as if it were locked up
                Is it correct that I've heard of crankshafts getting destroyed that way?

Michael

Comment

Your lucky, Read my post "twisted my crank?". That happened
                  to me last week and I needed to get my crank straightened.

Comment

Working...
                  X