jetting question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

jetting question

ok i have a 83 gs750es an it currently has a stage 2 kit installed I THINK. not sure on that since the guy i baught it off didnt tell me anything other than that it has carb problems. it does however have adjustable needles and 120 main jets. i just installed emgo pod filters and am wondering what i have to do to get the mixtures right. i dont really want to spend the money on a stage 3 kit because ive herd that other than the size of the main jets there is no difference between stage 2 and 3 kits. is this true?the bike currently runs prity good an pulls hard but is slow comming back down to idle an i have the mixture screws turned out just about as far as they will go. does this mean that i will have to put larger piolet jets in? thnaks for all your help guys . i need all the advice you can give me.

Pete,
    If you have the mixture screws turned out about as far as they will go that is the problem with the idle not dropping like it should. You are completely off the jet once you get more than 3-4 turns out. In leans it out and out richens. You shouldn't be more than about 2 1/2 turns out at the most. Adjust each of them individually for the smoothest, highest idle. You might want to check the assembly order of the spacers, clips, and washers on the needles. 120 mains should be about right.

Comment

right now ive got the needle clips 4 1/2 notches from the top could this be to rich? it seems to run smooth from 1/2 throtle to full. its the idle problem thats *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$ing me off, so is it possible that if im to rich on the mixture screws that this will also cause the bike to be slow comming back to idle?

Comment

You're definitely too rich on the screws. As I said before, you are completely off the mixture screws where they are now. 4 1/2 grooves from the top is probably too rich on the needles as well. The mid position is what Dynojet calls for. The reason it runs good from 1/2 to full throttle is because you are running completely on the main from 3/4 throttle up. Have you done any plug readings?

Comment

yah they read good on the main jet circut as well as the needle. an when i pull them after letting the bike idle for a while they look good also, thats why im so confused. so u suggest to place the needle clip in the mid position and turn the screws in so they are roughly between 2 an 3 turns out?

Comment

That's where I'd start Pete.

Comment

thanks alot billy, ur a life saver, lol i thought i had to go buy new piolet jets . i love this site

Comment

You said the plug reads were good for the main and needle circuits. I would'nt change their settings if this is so.
                Try 3 turns out on your mixture screws. Your stock mixture screw settings were probably about 2 to 2 1/2 turns out. The extra 1/2 turn or so is to allow for the pod filters. If you're still lean you'll need to go up a step on your pilots.
                I'm wondering if you have an intake leak.
                And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I'd take Billys advice. Personally, I only check the plugs on 3/4 and up throttle. This get the mains right. You can then adust the needles without reading the plugs by how the bike feels.

Don't bother reading the plugs on idle. Adjust for best rpm as Billy suggests.

I'm wondering if you have an intake leak.
                  That's a good question. If you have a leak no amount of adjustment will fix it.

Good advice from Billy and Keith.

Comment

i dont think i have an intake leak because i have all the clamps as tight as they can go. thanks for all the advice tho guys

Comment

Originally posted by pete_holden
                      i dont think i have an intake leak because i have all the clamps as tight as they can go. thanks for all the advice tho guys
                      Pete, let me ask you this. What is the rpm your bike idles at when you first start it up (cold) and let it idle? Then, after the motor is hot what is the rpm at "idle"?
                      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
                      X