It has to be Hot to Run Well

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It has to be Hot to Run Well

My GS1100GLZ starts and runs well except it has to run for at least 10 minutes or so before it starts running smoothly. Letting it warm up in the driveway won't do it. It has to be out on the highway for a while.

Before it warms up, the engine won't maintain a steady engine RPM. Holding the throttle steady it will occasionally jump about 400 RPM and run smooth for a few seconds and then drop back to the lower engine speed and return to running rough. The exhaust also pops when it's running rough but doesn't when it smooths out.

It's as if there is an intermittent electrical problem somewhere. I have heard that a coil that is getting weak won't deliver a strong spark until it warms up. I pulled both coils over the weekend, cleaned them, and removed some corrosion from the connections. This didn't make a difference.

I'm thinking about new coils, but before I do that I thought I'd ask for some suggestions. Could there be something else causing this problem? Once it's at full running temperature, it runs great. It has lots of power, runs smooth, idles well, etc.

I didn't read through your whole post but most GS bikes are a bit long in the warm up time. 15 munites is doing better than my gs1100

Comment

My 1984 GS1100GK has the same engine as your bike. I don't have any of the problems you've shared with us. Matter of fact, yesterday I started the bike without choke, gave it a couple of blips on the throttle, and it settled for a nice idle. I put on my helmet, put it in gear, and started the ride.

What I'm saying is your bike is in desperate need of a professional tune-up. I suspect carburetor problems, not ignition-related problems. When the 1100G engine is tuned correctly, it starts right away, it allows the choke to be closed shortly after starting, and settles to an idle. Then it's ready to be ridden.

When I ride the bike, it makes little or no difference whether it's cold or hot after an hour's ride.

Have your carbs professionally cleaned and gaskets and o-rings replaced. That's what I had done when I bought this GK four and a half years ago, and it's made all the difference in the world.

Nick

Comment

Hmmm...sounds like how my bike used to be when the carbs were out of measure. After my carbs were tuned I can put the bike on choke for about 2 minutes while I put on my riding jacket and helmet and then the bike is ready to go...idling perfectly at 1200 rpm.

It sounds to me like something with your carbs is not tuned up right.
        If you're looking at replacing your coils I would like to suggest the Green 3.0 ohm Dyna Coils. They're great!!! ACCEL also makes coils for our bikes but I don't have any info on those as I run the dynas on my bike.

Good luck!
        Dm of mD

Comment

Yeah. My 850 runs like several of you described. Sometimes I don't even need to use the choke at all. It runs smooth from the moment it first fires up. The 1100 isn't like that at all and that's what got me wondering. I know people say that these air-cooled engines take a while to warm up, but my 850 says differently. All it needs is the time it takes me to put my helmet on, if that.

So the concensus is that it's the carbs... I bought the bike about two months ago. The fellow I bought it from said he put 2-cycle motor oil in the gas. He said it was to clean the carbs. I ran some regular STP type gas cleaner in the first tank, and it started running a lot better. It still doesn't run as well as I think it should. I have checked the plugs and they all look good. And like I said, the thing runs great after it has warmed up.

Comment

There is a mixture adj screw on the top side of the carb by the intake boots try turning them out 1/4 turn--- there may be a plug covering the access hole if the carbs haven't been worked on before

Comment

Maybe it misses all the students and is sad. Maybe it's sinking in to lazy summer life.

One cougar to another,
              Michael

Comment

Working...
              X