Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1979 GS1000 front master cylinder kits. Where?....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1979 GS1000 front master cylinder kits. Where?....

Ok, so I've been searching for 2 days and have no luck. I have a 1979 GS1000 L that I am doing a frame-off resto on. (getting close to finished) Mine still works, but the seal where the brake lever hits the plunger is cracked. I'd let it slide, but I have repainted everything on this bike and do not want the slow leak to eat the paint.

So all I have been able to find is the rear MC kit. My last resort is to go to the dealer.

Has anyone used the master cylinder from a different bike? I came across a thread where someone did. If anybody can help out I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Tom

I would check with K & L supply otherwise go to your dealer. Later master will work fine, make sure to get one for dual disk

Comment

I ordered a new plunger and seals from the dealer. They call it a cup assembly. Does anyone know if this will solve my problem? The assembly cost $30.00 While I was at is I ordered new piston seals for all 3 calipers. The old ones look fine, but I figure it is cheap insurance while I have them apart.

Comment

You said "the seal where the brake lever hits the plunger is cracked".
        It sounds like you're talking about the dust boot. This will not leak fluid, but eventually it could allow dirt in that could cause a problem.
        Your new piston/cup assembly will require a long narrow snap ring plier. It's a little fun sometimes getting the new snap ring to seat right. The front caliper seals need to be installed just right too or they keep popping out.
        I wish I could remember (4 years ago) what I did to get the caliper seals in right. It took me three tries and the factory manual was no help.
        Just trying to let you know to be patient.
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Thanks Keith,
          Well, The problem is the seal behind the dust boot is shot. This is allowing the fluid to slowly build up between the dust boot and the seal. (at least this is my interpretation of it) So what happens is when I apply the front brake the compressing of the dust boot allows a few drops of fluid to sneak out.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to the snap ring. I rebuilt the front master on my old KZ1000 LTD. It was much less involved as I remember it.

Thanks again,
          Tom

Comment

Working...
          X