Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about a blow fuse :

Hello folks :

Is it possible to blow a light fuse up with a generator that it?s charging 12.3 V at 5000 RPM ?
    That happened to me today when i revved the engine up to 10000 RPM only for a few seconds.
    Cheers

Eliseo.

Yes, it is possible, but not because of 12.3 volts which is low. You may have had a sudden surge, and a peak voltage that blew the fuse.

If the stator R/R is OK then it should be turning out its max at about 5000.

Check all the connections and run a full test on the stator and regulator/rectifier. Sounds like you have an have an intermittent connection somewhere and/or the R/R is failing.

Of course, it is also possible that you have a short somewhere, but you need to check the voltages anyway, as the 12.3 will keep the bike running, but will not charge the battery.
    Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

There are a few things this could be. The former reply is right on but I've seen fuses which had a short under the cap which was not visable. Failures under the cap can be from vibration, especially with an old bike full of old fuses. The fuse might pass current until the bike revs. At that point the fuse loses contact. If the fuse link actually burned, that's a bit different but did it happen again after you replaced the fuse? Corrosion anywhere in the circuit can increase resistance and blow fuses as well. Check all the connectors. Finally, on these old bikes, the electrical insulation can break down causing shorts. If left unchecked the main harness can go up in smoke. Keep aftet the electrical system, keep things clean and for heaven's sake gat a service manual. By the way, did you say 10,000rpm?
      Good luck,
      Frank

Comment

Hello.

Well, today i went to work with my bike, and never rode above 5000 RPM, but i had the same problem... this time, the light fuse that i replaced yesterday didn?t blow.
        Now the turn was for the horn and turn signals fuse, so i don?t think that the problem was because of old fuses burned by bike vibration or ride at high revs.
        I?ll check connections and follow the stator pappers again.
        I followed the stator pappers secuence some months ago, and as a result, i got a faulty generator which i?m thinking about rewinding it sooner,following the stator pappers steps and the experience shared for Birdman,our "gs" friend.

Thanks Ron and Frank.

Eliseo

Comment

Eliseo,
          Check the voltage at you battery while running. At idle, you better get more than 12V, preferably over 13. Rev it up and the voltage should go up a volt or so. If it goes over 15volts, you have a bad regulator, common with old Suzukis. Usually, if defective, they just don't increase output with revs (RPMs) and the output is poor at idle. I don't remeber any putting out too much voltage but it's possible. Check the electrolyte in your battery. If your regulator is putting out too much voltage, it will boil off your battery's water. Top up with same; never add acid.
          As we implied before, you may have to check your entire wiring harness for shorts as well. Good luck my friend; I hate electrical problems.
          Where are you from?
          Frank :arrow:

Comment

Working...
          X