rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rebuild

is there anyplace to buy a rebuild kit for a 77 or 78 gs 750?like crank bearings,is there a timing chain?gasket kit.my bike has a little nock or tick like a lifter in a car is there a repair that i havent found on the forum.also has anyone ran a muffler of a new rocket?how do they sound?could someone point me in the right direction. thanks to everyone on this board you guys are making this new found 4 banger a lot of fun

tony

Re: rebuild

The little tick you are hearing is most likely a valve with a little excess clearance. The 77 through 79 GS 750's are roller bearing crankshafts and it is damn near an impossibility that you need to replace crank bearings.
    (unless the engine has a zillion miles on it and was run with no oil for a year or two) :-) The timing chain adjuster is automatic and it is normal to be able to hear the chain slightly. Actually, a lot of noises are normal for the 750's. If the timing chain is excessively noisy, it probably is just a matter of removing the adjuster, disassembling and cleaning it. (there is a proceedure for this, so do not just yank it out or start turning the little wheel on it) :-) Changing the muffler will change the backpressure and alter the intake throughflow balance. If you change mufflers, be prepared to deal with re jetting and balancing the carbs to match a different intake/exhaust system.

You can make most any changes you wish, but normally, you cannot change only one thing because everything is related and it is a cascade effect. One example is those that install larger carbs and jets without increasing the intake and exhaust capacity. Usually the result of that "performance" mod is a loss of power, reduced gas milage, rough running and hard starting. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by rangerracer
    is there anyplace to buy a rebuild kit for a 77 or 78 gs 750?like crank bearings,is there a timing chain?gasket kit.my bike has a little nock or tick like a lifter in a car is there a repair that i havent found on the forum.also has anyone ran a muffler of a new rocket?how do they sound?could someone point me in the right direction. thanks to everyone on this board you guys are making this new found 4 banger a lot of fun

tony
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

thanks alot i was just wanting to know about the bearings becouse reving this thing so hi just makes me a little nervous.i am willing to rejet if i could get the sound i want would it sound more like a modern rocket? thanks very much for the advise.will newer gsxr front forks fit my bike mine seem to be a little off somehow and i have no ides how to tell just doesnt feel right.

thanks
      tony

Comment

When the motor idles you will hear lots of noises most of which are normal for a GS So don't worry about it, The only thing I would do is to make sure the Cam Chain tensioner is working, check the valves. After a while you will learn what noises are normal. They are much louder without a helmet too!!

Comment

the GS engines do not turn up the 12 to 16K revs some of the new bikes do. so no, it will never have that high pitched sound that comes with that much rpm. But it will be louder. If you have never ridden a loud bike for any distance, I would see about finding someone with a loud bike that is willing to trade for a few hours on a ride one day. Besides being tiring, it becomes very obnoxious. I doubt you will like it. But then, if you only inted to ride 20 minutes at a time to the shop n go and back, it probably doesnt matter.

GSXR front ends can be used, but the problem most likely can be solved by loosening and aligning you fork tubes. replacing fork oil with the correct amount so dampening is equal between the right and left fork legs and possibly installing new fork seals. You can also modify the dampening rate with the viscosity of the fork oil. I would make sure what I alread had was set up correctly before swapping the front end. I think you will be surprised at how well it will behave when it is right. Also, old, hard tires, will make the handling turn to "stuff". Got new tires on it? How about tire pressure? Front brake caliper dragging? Steering stem bearings torqued correctly. A lot of things have an effect on front end handling and tracking. Changing forks usually will not solve the problem because there are too many other related things. Your problems may be a small bit of all of the above which cumulatively add up to a handling problem.

Earl

Originally posted by rangerracer
          thanks alot i was just wanting to know about the bearings becouse reving this thing so hi just makes me a little nervous.i am willing to rejet if i could get the sound i want would it sound more like a modern rocket? thanks very much for the advise.will newer gsxr front forks fit my bike mine seem to be a little off somehow and i have no ides how to tell just doesnt feel right.

thanks
          tony
          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Working...
          X