Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overcharging problem (freaking out)

Hi,

I know this is a Suzuki forum, but I've noticed that you have a great deal of knowledge about charging systems, so I thought I'd give it a shot, if you don't mind helping me.

I own a Kawasaki KLE 500 (similar to the EX 500). I keep replacing my RR (regulator rectifier), and it keeps dying on me. Here are my theories:

1) The original RR was 11 years old, when it started overcharging (18 volts and counting), so my mechanic suggested replacing it. This one may have died from natural causes.

2) The first replacement RR was a generic one (that is, unbranded). It had no sense wire, even though the bike's wiring expects an RR with one. But I was assured that it would work anyway, so I had it installed (there was a HUGE price difference compared to the Kawasaki RR). This one died in a couple of weeks. It shorted and drained my battery.

3) The second replacement RR was similar to the one before it. It lasted, let's say, a month and a week or so, then it started overcharging.

Number 2 and 3 may have died because they were too low-quality. But I don't want to replace the RR again, without making sure that it's not the stator what's killing them.

So I tested the stator as per GSresources/Electrek's fault-finding chart. It tested fine, I'd say perfect. But my mechanic says faulty stators may seem fine when measured, but they can peak randomly, and these high voltage peaks can kill the RR.

So, first of all: can this be true?
    Second: does this mean that even though a stator may test fine by Electrek's fault-finding chart, it may STILL be faulty?

For the record, my battery is new and fully charged to 12.9v with a charger.

I want to add that I discovered that the system was overcharging because when I accelerate, the bike "sometimes" hesitates exactly when crossing the 3,000 rpm line. My mechanic says at that point the voltage is too high and the CDI goes crazy, hence the bike hesitating.

Along that theory, I think I've proved that the problem tends to disappear if I switch the headlight on, but it's difficult to be sure because it doesn't happen so consistently.

Other than that, the bike runs perfectly.

Thank you guys, please answer whatever crosses your minds.

If you have the proper voltage on all three legs at the prescribed RPM and the resistances of the legs are good, then the stator is good.
    it is not possible for it to suddenly make higher voltage than it is made to put out.
    it is the job of the regulator to control the voltage out put.

chances are the generic regulator you are using is just not capable of handling the power your stator is puting out, that and the fact that you are running with the headlight turned off.
    this type of system used on older bikes (like ours) regulates voltage by shunting excess voltage to ground, it actually shorts it'self to ground, with the headlight off it has to shunt that mutch more power to ground to keep the output voltage to the correct level.

check and see if the regulator is grounded correctly, and if it is not already, run a extra ground from the regulator ground or housing to the battery ground terminal, it is very important that the regulator be grounded real good so it can regulate correctly.

it is so often said that Suzuki's GS's have charging problems, but from what I have seen over my 21 years of riding, GS's have no more problems than any other Japaneese bike, and I have actually seen more Hondas with bad stators than I have seen GSs with bad stators.

Comment

Get a reg/rect from a 78-82 Honda CB/CL 450-500?? (see the tips section) series and adapt it to your bike.

Comment

Thanks all, guys...... I'll keep you posted...

Comment

Originally posted by focus frenzy

it is so often said that Suzuki's GS's have charging problems, but from what I have seen over my 21 years of riding, GS's have no more problems than any other Japaneese bike, and I have actually seen more Hondas with bad stators than I have seen GSs with bad stators.
          Quoted for truth. If you wanna see a kawasaki that comes stock from the factory with charging problems look at the Vulcan750. Ask anyone that owned one and they'll tell you that the first thing to go on them is the stator and regulator. Even if they're new off the showroom floor. I have one along with my gs750L and I speak from an 800 dollar experience of getting the engine pulled to change the stator.

Dm of mD

Comment

Working...
          X