Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question on Fork Seals...82 750E

Hey guys,

Ok, 82 750E, complete with weeping fork seals. Weeping is probably an understatment though. I have seen the seals for sale at bikebandits and on ebay, but I have no idea what is involved in doing this myself. Are there any other parts that I should think about replaceing while I have the forks apart? Can I change the seals while the forks are still attached to the bike?

Is this generally an expensive repair for a shop? I would rather let a shop do work I am not familiar with, but when it comes down to cost it might be me.

Thanks everyone,

Drew

it is theoretically possible to change the seals with them still on the bike, but you would have to jack the bike way up in the air, they have to be disassembled to replace the seals.
    they are not to complicated but a special tool is needed to hold the damper piston so the allen bolt that holds them together can be removed.

Comment

An alternative to investing in a special tool is to tapered the end of a piece of 1/2" wide dowel (about 3ft long) and hammer it into the dampening rod to keep it from turning. Worked well for me.

If you can get ahold of them you should change the bushings when you have the forks apart. In fact some say that the bushings should be changed every time you disassemble the forks to change the seals.

Check dennis kirk for seals as bikebandit tends to be expensive.

Good Luck.

Jeff

Comment

A couple for long extensions and the hex end of a 5/8 spark plug socket
        can be used to hold the dampening rod. ONLY use genuine Suzuki seals

Comment

Thanks for the replys guys, I'll let you know how it turns out.

Drew

Comment

Most later model GS's have teflon bushings that should be replaced along with the seal. There should be two sets if you do have them. As for the special tool for the damper rods, I didn't use anything. Just take the bolt out at the bottom of the forks on each leg. Keep outward pressure on the bolts and they come out without holding the dampers.

Comment

I could copy and snail mail you the right pages from my '83 manual if you need it. Things should be similar enough between the two models that you could figure things out.

Comment

Recap, 1982 GS750E fork seal replace.

ok guys, started tearing them down, I guess I'm an idiot cause I'm stuck. Forks off, everything that I can see, I took off. But I can't seem to figure out why/how the two parts (lower section, upper section) come apart. I am at an obvious stand still. I removed the dust covers, got the air valve thingy off, but thats about it.
                I am not sure what to do after I insert (A: Dowel rod, or special tool) into the damping rod. Sorry for stupid questions.

I know , I know...get a manual, I have to go shopping this week...

Drew

Comment

If all else fails, take the fork tubes into a local shop and have them install the seals. Your labor cost is going to be only a fraction of what it would cost to have them remove and re-install fork tubes on the bike along with the seal replacement. Just a thought, Good luck, Ed.
                  1983 GS750ED
                  2001 TL1000S

Comment

After reading the how-to above, I realized there must be a clip holding the seal down which in turn keeps the forks together. I also see that the damping rod is held in place by the bolt on the very bottom of the forks (This came out with no problem).

Ed-I know what you are saying about time and the money, but it?s not only about not paying a dealer, but a learning experience. Once its done, I'll always be able to say I know how to for next time.

Thanks for all of your help so far guys,

Drew

Comment

Done and done.

Thanks for the help guys.

Drew

Comment

Working...
                      X