Turn signals?????????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turn signals?????????

On my 80 GS 1100, one of the previous owners saw fit to remove the turn signals, because "They didn't look cool" :roll:

Anyway, I am in the process of trying to get my new ones working. My questions are this:

Do the front signals also act as marker lights? Meaning that they stay on all the time and flash brighter or go out for the signals?

And what color wires should I be looking for in the front? I am supposing that they are a pair of green into one plug, a pair of tan(?) wires into one, and a black?

Help!!! :?

the blinkers will only turn on when you hit the switch.....the wire colour i have no idea about that.

Comment

Re: Turn signals?????????

On my 79 750, the turn signal common (-) is a black and white wire. There is one lead from the harness ending with a double connector inside the headlight shell. The ground for each turn signal plugs into this double connector. The right and left (+) leads are two separate single wires from the harness and each ends with a single connector. The right and left are both black, so you just have to connect them and see which lead is for the right and which is for the left side.

Earl

Originally posted by Ludicrous Speed
      On my 80 GS 1100, one of the previous owners saw fit to remove the turn signals, because "They didn't look cool" :roll:

Anyway, I am in the process of trying to get my new ones working. My questions are this:

Do the front signals also act as marker lights? Meaning that they stay on all the time and flash brighter or go out for the signals?

And what color wires should I be looking for in the front? I am supposing that they are a pair of green into one plug, a pair of tan(?) wires into one, and a black?

Help!!! :?
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Good time for this question....just put mine back together..the green is for the right signals.

Black is ground and tan/brown is left signal.
        Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

OK, a little more information:

I figured out that the green wire is the RH turn signal, but for some reason, I have power to the double tan wire any time the key is on?????

If I plug my signal into it, the front stays on all the time, but the rear only comes on when I turn the signal switch on.....

This is really screwy!!!!!

Comment

On my 850 the front lights are marker and signal (2 filiment), while the rear lights are just signal (single filiment).

Comment

My '81 brochure states that the '80 GS1100 was so good they only had to "add running lights" (and a more powerful alternator, and a reserve on the petcock). So your '80 wouldn't have had running lights on the front - signals only.

Comment

Well, that is kind of what I figured......

I wonder what would be causing the front left to stay on all the time? Any ideas before I tear the bike completely apart chasing this?

Thanks again!

Comment

On my 850 I've found that if 1 of the bulbs is bad, then the other same side signal bulb will not blink but instead stay lit (including the dash indicator). When a bulb goes bad the filiment burns out. This creates an open in the circuit. You may want to check the wiring for the left side rear turn signal to include the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Ludicrous Speed
                    Well, that is kind of what I figured......

I wonder what would be causing the front left to stay on all the time? Any ideas before I tear the bike completely apart chasing this?

Thanks again!
                    the right wire is green the left will be solid black and the brown wire is a accesory switched power lead, used for aftermarket items.
                    I have my new side marker lights hooked to the brown wire.

Comment

Working...
                    X