Heeeeellllllppppppp!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heeeeellllllppppppp!!!!

I ordered a manual today for the GS700ES I picked up Sunday. It isn't going to be in until Friday at the earliest. My problem is this. The carbs have been cleaned and yet I am not able to get it up over 3000 rpm. I had checked for spark and all looked good but this last time while running I pulled the plug wires one at a time. When the wires were pulled on the outboard cylinders it was noticeable. When the wires were pulled on the center two there was no change.

Since I don't have a manual yet I don't know the firing order or proper wire placement. Could this possibly be related to the ignition on the right side of the engine? I pulled the cover and it looks as though there had been some damage (possibly laid over) and the front coil ( apparently had been in contact with the part on the crank.

Aaarrggghhh!!!!!

Firing order

The firing order according to the manual is 1-2-4-3

Kevan
    GS750
    169,000kms

Comment

Coil

Just a guess, but I think it's almost, for sure, one of the coils since they split the workload in that fashion (1and4---2and3)... It's probably either a bad connection or a faulty coil. In either case, it may be an easy fix. :?
      1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Thanks Guys!

Now a couple more questions;

The cylinders, are they numbered 1-2-3-4 left to right while sitting on the bike?

Does the manual offer instructions and values on testing a coil?

Comment

Yes

Yes, that's the way they're numbered and you'll find lots of information on our site about testing your electrical system. Do a search for "coils" and you'll find that the smart guys have left invaluable information. Good luck!
          1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Thanks Again!!

Comment

To test the coils you use a multitester set at X1ohm. Place one probe on each of the input (primary) terminals. You should get 3-5 ohms. To test the secondary side put one tester probe inside each plug cap on one coil with the tester set at X1,000 ohms. This would be the caps for 1 & 4 tested together and 2 & 3 tested together. The value for stock coils is 30,000-50,000 ohms. Most aftermarket coils will measure somewhere between 15,000-20,000 ohms.

The coil with the longer wires is for cylinders 1 & 2. The one with the shorter wires goes to 2 & 3. Both cylinders on each coil fire at the same time so either wire from each coil can go on either cylinder.

Comment

Re: Heeeeellllllppppppp!!!!

Originally posted by cozee
                Could this possibly be related to the ignition on the right side of the engine? I pulled the cover and it looks as though there had been some damage (possibly laid over) and the front coil ( apparently had been in contact with the part on the crank.

Aaarrggghhh!!!!!
                Cozee, the coils are under the tank. The points (or pickups, I thought the 85's had electronic ignition) are what you're looking at under the cover on the right side of the engine. Check for proper gap, and advance. If electronic, you'll need to check the module.

Comment

[quote="cozee"]I ordered a manual today for the GS700ES
                  where did you find your manual and what type is it??

Comment

You can get a factory manual at repairmanual.com for somewhere around $50

Comment

Originally posted by Jeckler
                      Originally posted by cozee
                      Could this possibly be related to the ignition on the right side of the engine? I pulled the cover and it looks as though there had been some damage (possibly laid over) and the front coil ( apparently had been in contact with the part on the crank.

Aaarrggghhh!!!!!
                      Cozee, the coils are under the tank. The points (or pickups, I thought the 85's had electronic ignition) are what you're looking at under the cover on the right side of the engine. Check for proper gap, and advance. If electronic, you'll need to check the module.
                      80+ on the 850 is electronic

82+ on the 450.

Points would have been LONG gone by 85...

Comment

I tested the coils today. Both tested within spec on the input side, 3.9 and 4.0 ohms. But, outputs were far from the specs in the post above. 14.9k and 15.6k ohms. Far from the 30-50 k ohms.

Local shop quoted me a price of $152 for the Accel Super Coils and said OEM units would be higher. Sound right??

Comment

It sounds like you've got Dynas or Accels. If so the secondary numbers are fine. If the coils are green you have Dynas. I believe the Accels are all yellow, I may be wrong. The stock coils are grey and the wires are glued into the coils. One end is dark resin with a raised + and - cast into the resin. If you really need coils you can get late model Bandit, Katana, or GSXR coils on Ebay for about $25 a set. They are just like the GS coils. Only the very latest GSXR coils won't work. With their EMS each plug has a coil built right into the plug for precise firing on each cylinder.

Comment

where did you find your manual and what type is it??
                            I orderd it through my local shop (independant). It is the same Suzuki manual you can purchase at repairmanual.com.

It sounds like you've got Dynas or Accels. If so the secondary numbers are fine. If the coils are green you have Dynas. I believe the Accels are all yellow, I may be wrong. The stock coils are grey and the wires are glued into the coils. One end is dark resin with a raised + and - cast into the resin.
                            I have stock coils.

Comment

Working...
                            X