Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KENDA CHALLENGER??? I just bought a Dunlop k591 but want....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KENDA CHALLENGER??? I just bought a Dunlop k591 but want....

to know if the Kenda is a decent tire. I ride alot and will go through this dunlop in probably 2000 miles, so i will be soon looking for another tire.

I ride hard in the corner, and would rather get 1000miles less on a tire than not be able to corner.

Earth Brown

Re: KENDA CHALLENGER??? I just bought a Dunlop k591 but want

If you enjoy road rash. sliding on your face and eating asphalt, get some Kenda tires. Thats my opinion of them.

earl

Originally posted by earth brown gs1100e
    to know if the Kenda is a decent tire. I ride alot and will go through this dunlop in probably 2000 miles, so i will be soon looking for another tire.

I ride hard in the corner, and would rather get 1000miles less on a tire than not be able to corner.

Earth Brown
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Question ANSWERED< HOWEVER!!!

WHAT is another good tire for this bike?

Earth Brown

Comment

There are a lot of good tures out there. I stick with Metzler or dunlop, but that just my preference. I've heard good things about about Battle Ax's (Bridgestone) but have never tried one. I tried Michlen, I cant say they were awful, but is didnt like them one bit and changed them as soon a I could.
        cheng Shen, I tried and I will never ride on one of them again. They too went in the trash can almost new.

Earl

Earth Brown

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I have a set of kenda challengers on my 1980 850 and they stick just fine am just as happy with them as I am with the pirelli's on my 1979 gs 850

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
            There are a lot of good tures out there. I stick with Metzler or dunlop, but that just my preference. I've heard good things about about Battle Ax's (Bridgestone) but have never tried one. I tried Michlen, I cant say they were awful, but is didnt like them one bit and changed them as soon a I could.
            cheng Shen, I tried and I will never ride on one of them again. They too went in the trash can almost new.

Earl

Earth Brown
            If I posted it would only be more of this advice here so I will quote Earl and say that this is the best answer to your question.

Comment

To each his own, but I have to comment. If you feel Kenda's "stick just fine" in the rain, you might want to try a set of Metzlers for a comparison. Metzlers have better traction on a rain slick highway than Kendas's do on dry asphalt. L0L There really is no comparison between the two. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by tojny45he
              I have a set of kenda challengers on my 1980 850 and they stick just fine am just as happy with them as I am with the pirelli's on my 1979 gs 850

Comment

Riding the Kenda Challenger in the rain is how I tasted asphalt. That, and being stupid, but I could have done what I did if I had a decent tire. I've had better luck with the cheng shen, only complaint with them was the time they lasted. YMMV. Check out the Pirelli Sport Demon. Great performing tire, even if they do wear a bit fast.

Comment

Well!

Guess I won't be riding my GS in the rain now, will I? 8O

(Kenda Challenger on the front)

Comment

Hrm. I just got Dunlop GT501's for the Katana, which are supposed to be the schznit of bias ply tires. Haven't really ridden them to try them out, as I'm still fixing various little things on the bike. (That are now on hold while I reassemble my R1 :roll

Alternatively, if you can find them in the correct size, I've had an amazingly good experience with an '86 Yamaha SRX600 on reworked suspension and Bridgestone BT45 bias plies. Dunno how they'd handle with a heavier bike-- my SRX weighs maybe 360lbs fully wet-- but I like 'em. Corner very nice at street speeds.

Comment

I've run a Kenda Challenger on the rear of my GK. Didn't have any problems with it; however, it didn't last very long. Traction was OK, not any different from any other rear tire.

I won't go to Kenda again simply because it isn't cost efficient. The Harley/Dunlop tire I have on the rear at this time already has outlasted a Kenda, and has a good number of miles left in it. More expensive, but the cost per mile is lower. Changing rear wheels often isn't my idea of a good time.

So, go for the Kenda. Nothing wrong with it, other than having to replace it sooner than you'd like.

Nick

Comment

I had Challangers on both front back of my 450, even the slightest wetness seemed like ice. I have replaced the back with a Chen Sheng Barracuda. I haven't put enough miles on it to determine its worth...

Comment

I just installed a bridgestone spitfire on the rear of my 425. It seems pretty good but mind you I'm not racing around just cruising but in the rain it seemed o.k. I almost bought a kenda. thankful I didn't after reading this. 8O

Comment

Cheap and effective tire...my best bet was the Cheng Shin Hi-Max (H rated), seems to do fine in the rain, pretty good on dry roads. It slides predicably at its limit, so I run them on my 85 550E. Have used K591's and a few others, the Cheng has given me the best mileage.

If I had money to burn...I would get a Metzler Lazer front and some matching one for the rear (My FJ is running ME33/ME99 Metronix)

Kenny

Comment

I've had one set of Kenda challengers on a KZ550 that came with the bike, they were the first thing I changed on it.

I'm running Bridgestone BattleAx's on my GS1100 and really like them. They don't quite compare to some of the sport touring radials available these days but work just fine.

Comment

Working...
                              X