'81 GS450 (E or S) Rear tire question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'81 GS450 (E or S) Rear tire question

What sizes are people running on the back of these? I currently have a 110/90-18 but there are a lot more choices available in the 120. Anyone using a 120 on the rear?

And while I'm askin', what about the front? Currently using a 100/90-18 but am interested in what others are using.

Thanks,
    Kurt

I have a 81 450s and also would like to know about the tires.

Comment

You should be able to go up to 120 rear without any problem I would stick with the 100 on the front

Comment

I'm using a 120/90 rear tire, but it's the maximum of what the swing arm can hold. We're talking about <5mm clearance on either side. This is dunlop tires, other makes may offer more.

Bike: -81 GS450e

Comment

Your '81E should be the same as my '81S (fairing is the only difference I know of). Which Dunlop tire and did they really fit ok on these skinny rims?

Maybe it's time for a swingarm exchange, just so I can use a more commonly available tire. Did any other models come with a 18" mag wheel and drum brake where the rim is wider than the 450's?

Thanks!

Kurt

Originally posted by blo
          I'm using a 120/90 rear tire, but it's the maximum of what the swing arm can hold. We're talking about <5mm clearance on either side. This is dunlop tires, other makes may offer more.

Bike: -81 GS450e

Comment

It's the GT501 from Dulop, and upon inspection it's the right side which has a clearance issue. I'm using the stock 3.50? rim, and all seems ok.

Comment

Working...
            X