Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To Stretch or Not to Stretch > Chaingang !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To Stretch or Not to Stretch > Chaingang !

Ok, here is the old chaingang again (don't get me started about shafts, ok?) but I noticed something strange on my chain: I am really due for a new set of chain and sprockets, since the chain has almost stretched itself beyond tightening, but the weather right now is better for riding than it is for muddling around with tools 'n grease. (OK, >> just lazy)

Last week I removed the counter-nuts to give me just 4 extra threads for tightening, and pulled the wheel back just a bit. The new tension was ab-so-lut-ly correct, sooner too loose than too tight, but STILL : after aprox 200 miles it seems to be ready for some more tightening. I have double checked the torque on the axle-bolt (which is correct) but now it seems as the chain is strechting on double speed.

Never seen this before on any chain, but maybe its normal after a while. I have no clue how long this chain has been on for (I've never replaced it so far) and the sprockets seem to be OK for another 4000 miles.

So, for all you Chainers: at a certain point, does the chain start to slack double fast?

I have never had a chain that just starts to wear more quickly. I have had a lesser quality chain (o ring) that wore very quickly relative to any others (20,000 km vs over 40,000 km!!). The normal chain I have on now seems ok, just needs a bit more oiling compared to an oring and may not last as long, but we shall see.

Perhaps the chain is just a cheapy? If the sprockets are still ok, might be better to replace the chain.

Comment

Thanks saaz. Talking about quality of ('O'-ring) chains: what do people on the forum consider to be a good (& fair price) quality chain?

Concerning the tension. when the bike is on both wheels (and held by the steeringbar) the tension is aprox 1-1/2", when on the sidestand over 2 and feels slacky, when on the centerstand, well OK thats bad, but I never cruise that way anyway 8)

The sprockets are too far worn to leave for another chain-life. Thanks for the tip tho. I have also considered removing one link, but it seems to be a tricky job because its all riveted.

Comment

When I checked in Australia, a 630 o ring chain was over us$100 equivalent, but I had just paid for clutch plates, a set of tyres, brake pads etc to get the bike back on the road after a few years break.....and rego and insurance! next time the price will not matter as much.....

Comment

I got a new chain and sprocket thru dennis kirk. Was a resonable price and the delivery was quick. Might want to try that. FYI: I had a chain that was doing something the same as yours. Luckily I was taking off from a stop and not moving to quickly, but the rear locked up. I turned and looked and the chain had broken and wrapped around the rear sprocket causing the tire to lock up. Just food for thought.

Comment

My O-ring chain cost me $125 Canadian

Comment

Don't know for sure about chain, but the increased "stretch rate" in some materials, including most metals, is a sign of imminent impending failure. I'd replace it SOON! 8O

Comment

Everytime I have run a chain beyond it's service limits, it starts to stretch at a quicker rate. Please change the thing. A good friend of mine died over not spending 100 bucks on a new chain. It broke, locked up the rear end at speed, he wrecked and died. 100.00 and the time to change it sounds like a lot right now. It won't when you're getting skin graffs (or worse.)

Tim

Comment

whats the best way to measure chain slack, on the center stand, or while someone is sitting on the bike?

Comment

W/ SOMEONE SITTING ON IT.

Comment

thats strainge, I have never had to adjust my shaft!!
                      SHAFTIES RULE!!!!

Comment

Re: To Stretch or Not to Stretch > Chaingang !

Arnold, I have run a chain until it reached a point where it stretched to quickly to keep an adjustment. Besides destroying sprockets when it reaches that point, it means the chain is worn out. I've never continued to run one at that point as I feel there is a very high risk of it breaking. (not a good thing) :-) My feeling view is not to ride the bike with a chain in that condition. Its going to break, you just dont know when exactly. (my .02 worth )

Earl

[quote="Arnold" I have double checked the torque on the axle-bolt (which is correct) but now it seems as the chain is strechting on double speed.............
                        Never seen this before on any chain, but .....................
                        So, for all you Chainers: at a certain point, does the chain start to slack double fast?[/quote]
                        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

That human beings can not bear too much reality, explains so much.

Comment

I forgot to mention one old trick....if you can pull the link of the chain out from the rear sprocket a little...it is probably stretched too far and needs replacing. Stands to reason as the links will be riding the teeth, wearing them if you can just pull the chain away like that

Comment

Working...
                          X