Bike wont start. Help please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike wont start. Help please.

I just gotan81 gs650L. Ran great, i did plugs, changed the oil, filter ect ect. Well on my way home from my g/f's house, i stopped at a buddy's house. Now when i started it at my g/fs house it cranked a bit slow for a second then started. I shut it off at his house, was there about 10 minutes. Went to start it, it cranked VERY VERY slow and wouldnt start. I was going to have him give me a jump, i tried it before we hooked the cables up and it started up. I drove it to my house. Shut it off, then i started it right back up, cranked fine. My bro and I ( he on his bike, me on mine) were going to ride into town really fast. Again it wouldnt start, it wouldnt even crank, just click. I put a charger on it..2 amps, tried to start, it would just click, then i turned it to 10 amps, to try and start it, it would just click. My cousin, the guy i bought it off of said he replaced the battery on it not to long ago. Do i have a draw somewhere, what can i do? BTW i made sure everything was shut off as well. Any help would be great, thanks guys.

First charge the battery, then start it and check the battery voltage it should be around 14Volts at 5K rpm If the electrics check ok Check the starter

Comment

OK im not at the bike at the moment, wont be until tomorrow most likely, if the volts check out ok, how should i check the starter, where is it located? Im not to familiar with bikes, just cars. Im sure i could find it, but if you give me an idea what i need to take off that would help.

Comment

just for grins check the water in your battery too may be low.

Comment

I had a bad battery when I started, I found you can start it from the car battery if you have to... don't know if that's frowned upon or not but it would get me out of the driveway, then I just had to stall it on a hill if I wanted to return to said driveway!! good way to diagnose tho.

good luck! sorry I haven't got more for ya!

Comment

jumping with a car is not a problem DON"T have the car engine running. Clean the batter connections too. There is a cover under the carbs with two bolts the starter is under the cover. When the starter is turning slow Try jumping the starter solinoid--mounted to the side battery box (two large terminals with a screwdriver) If the starter still turns slow you will need to remove it. Most of the time a good cleaning and new brushes is all it takes to bring them back to life The bad part is that you will probably have to remove the carbs to get the starter out

Comment

Working...
            X