gas milage went dway down...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gas milage went dway down...

when i first started riding about 6 months ago, i was getting about 115-130 to my tank, now i only get between 70-90, could it be my air filter or what. 83 gs450 L

have you added a windshield or a fairing?

Comment

You could very well be minus a cylinder. Check that they are both firing at all engine speeds and temperatures. Is it particularly weak at any set of conditions? You could also have crapped up carbs, causing inefficiency. For specific troubleshooting, catch me sometime when I'm not dog tired.

Good luck.

Michael

Comment

I am a new GS 450 owner myself. There is a lot of traffic about the fuel petcock on this site. Including several about loss of gas mileage. I had a problem of overflow on my carbs and low gas milage. I disconnected the vacume line and plugged it. I am running the bike on "prime". Making sure to turn it to "on" when I stop. The bike is running great and my milage is way up. I have not run a tank through yet this way so I do not know my total mileage. I am about to deccide on a Pingle valve or a new OEM valve at a local dealer. Anyone with any further advice on this can chime in.

Comment

Dealers are minions of Satan. I have a Pingel on my 1100. I think it's a quality piece of machinery. I vote Pingel.

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by mopolopo
            Dealers are minions of Satan. I have a Pingel on my 1100. I think it's a quality piece of machinery. I vote Pingel.

Michael
            I dont have one yet but I will when my petcock goes south. :mrgreen:

Comment

Pingel on both my bikes. The first thing I do when I get a bike is scrap the OEM petcock and buy a Pingel. I know it is only a mtter of time before the stock petock will cause me grief and my luck is that grief will come at 2am on a deserted road where no one lives for 100 miles and there is no cell phone coverage either. :-)

Earl
              All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

pingel?

This may sound like a silly question, but what is a pingel petcock, and where can I get one?
                I 've got a '80 GS750E

Karl

Comment

Re: pingel?

Originally posted by karllmt
                  This may sound like a silly question, but what is a pingel petcock, and where can I get one?
                  I 've got a '80 GS750E

Karl
                  They are: http://www.pingelonline.com/power_flo.htm

They can be found: http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produc...e=Main&catId=2

Pingel petcocks are made mostly for Harleys but with an adapter plate between the tank and petcock, they work very well for Suzukis.

Michael

Comment

I, too, have experienced the whole "Gas coming through the vacuum line/Crappy fuel econonmy" thing too. I ordered a pingle petcock last week and when it gets here on tuesday i'll finally be free and back in order.

Dm of mD

Comment

Originally posted by mopolopo
                      You could very well be minus a cylinder. Check that they are both firing at all engine speeds and temperatures. Is it particularly weak at any set of conditions? You could also have crapped up carbs, causing inefficiency. For specific troubleshooting, catch me sometime when I'm not dog tired.

Good luck.

Michael
                      You'd know if you were down a cylinder, the bike (being a twin) would barely run...

Assuming you're not missing any airbox parts, the petcock vac-line issue, dirty carbs and a dirty air filter would be the top 3 things to check. Also, check your carb synch (not as important with a twin as a four, but it will affect milage)....

I used to go ~120mi/tank on my 450, now it's up to 150 (could be more, but for a case of 'lead hand'). Improvements came from a detailed carb clean, replacing one of the carb slides (due to a damaged diaphragm), and re-synching the carbs...

Comment

Working...
                      X