1983 GS750ES Front Fork Nitrogen Charging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 GS750ES Front Fork Nitrogen Charging

I just purchased a 1983 GS750ES (at a good price) and took it to a local repair man for some work that it was going to need before I started riding it daily. I do not usually take on anything aside from changing oil.

The work it needed was the front calipers rebuilt and the front forks had been leaking. So I figured that the front forks needed seals and refilling with fork oil, calipers rebuilt, and I could be on my way.

The repair man called back and started talking about nitrogen charging of the shocks, and quite of bit of unexpected expenses added to my bill. I have no choice to authorize the work (or go get my bike), and was wondering if anyone had some insight as to if any of the 1983 GS750ES models actually needed nitrogen recharging of the shocks. (I am currently trying to find a service manual so i can research this myself)

Thanks in advance.
    Jay Hodges

Charging the forks with Nitrogen doesn't require any special parts.It should ONLY cost 2-3 dollars more.The purpose of using Nitrogen is it is more stable with temp changes and won't aereate the oil hardly at all unlike air(about 70+%nit.)Racers use it all the time-NASCAR in particular in tires.I have a tank and charge my forks and tires just like you would with air.It does make a fair amount of difference especially high-speed\bumpy roads.

Comment

Re: 1983 GS750ES Front Fork Nitrogen Charging

Originally posted by thoox

I just purchased a 1983 GS750ES (at a good price) and took it to a local repair man for some work that it was going to need before I started riding it daily. I do not usually take on anything aside from changing oil.

The work it needed was the front calipers rebuilt and the front forks had been leaking. So I figured that the front forks needed seals and refilling with fork oil, calipers rebuilt, and I could be on my way.

The repair man called back and started talking about nitrogen charging of the shocks, and quite of bit of unexpected expenses added to my bill. I have no choice to authorize the work (or go get my bike), and was wondering if anyone had some insight as to if any of the 1983 GS750ES models actually needed nitrogen recharging of the shocks. (I am currently trying to find a service manual so i can research this myself)

Thanks in advance.
      Jay Hodges
      While nitrogen may be better than air, the service manual I'm almost certain(99%) it calls for air. I'll check in my '83 GS750 service manual when I get home to verify, but it will be this evening.

Comment

The service manual states that air be put in the front forks, pressure 0.2 kg/cm2. Max. 2.5 kg/cm2 (35 psi) 18 years and 161,000 kms later and I have never put air in my front forks.

Kevan

Comment

My bike has a sticker on the left fork that says to use either air or nitrogen.

Steve

Comment

I was talking to my beemer friend at work today, kicking bike tires (actually I'm looking to change my front tire). He stradles the bike and pushed down on the forks and noticed how easy it dived in front. Immediately he's going on about me not having any fork oil in and to ride it home very slowly. Well having previously decided I was going to change the oil anyway I drove it into the garage tonight and started draining the oil. That's when I remembered (DOH) that it had air charged front shocks. Anyway, my manual says air or nitrogen, but nowhere near the 35 PSI as mentioned above. Mine should be no more than 10PSI or 7.1PSI as set from the factory. Does naybody know where you can get nitrogen?

Roger

Comment

use air, its alot cheaper.

Comment

Dirtbike shops will have nitrogen...but so should motorcycle shops. You could go and buy a tank but it would probably contain 100 Pounds of compressed gas.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                X