Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

spark problems

gs550 1980-82 not really sure
    ohkay i jsut took the carbs apart on my bike last week and cleaned them, and put them back together. the bike worked well enough to ride, and while i was riding i started to accelerate at one point in first and all of a sudden bike stopped, and there was no power. found out the next day i had blown a fuse. i replaced the fuse(ignition 15a) and now the bike wont start. it doesnt even try jsut turns over. i checked for spark in the right two cylinders (3 and 4 ) i believe, and i wasnt getting one, and after cranking, the plugs werent wet at all. the knob on my petcock was broken off when i got it, and im not really sure which setting its on. did something go with my fuse, or what are the possibilites for whats wrong. thanks for any and all advice, Nate

Petcock

If your bike is a 1980 model, it never had a knob on the petcock....only a plastic insert with a slot (for a screwdriver). If you haven't made any adjustment to that, I don't think your problem is your petcock.....(at least not yet.) :roll:
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

petcock

ohkay well thats easy enough then, i thought something was broken off. any ideas on the spark?

Comment

Re: petcock

Originally posted by natenewz
        ohkay well thats easy enough then, i thought something was broken off. any ideas on the spark?
        Something shorted out somewhere, ergo fuse blew...

Find the short, and assuming it didn't damage your CDI module, you should get your spark back...

Comment

Re: petcock

Originally posted by natenewz
          Something shorted out somewhere, ergo fuse blew...

Find the short, and assuming it didn't damage your CDI module, you should get your spark back...

Comment

cdi module

say it did damage the cdi module, which i did trace the problems too, is there a trick to taking it off, or are they kinda tricky (impossible) to take off without a sledge hammer? also, where can i get one if i find it is damaged, and how much will it cost? p.s. how come we say cdi module, as opposed to an ignitor, like it says in the manual. it took me two weeks to figure out what an ignitor was.

Comment

It not CDI, that's a common misconception. Ignitor is the correct term for the module. Ebay is the best place to find one if it is indeed bad. If you have Suzuki manual there is a procedure in it for testing the module. If not I'll dig through some old posts of mine for the procedure.

Comment

Ignitors

What are the differences in ignitors for the early 80's on the gs's between 550cc and 650 cc models? Im wondering if an ignitor off of a 82 gs 650 will work on my 550?

Comment

If you stick with one from the same year it should work

Comment

Working...
                  X