hesitation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hesitation

hi agin i am in need of advise i have an 78 gs750 runs alright but when its just ideling and pop the gas there is a hesitation i cleaned the carbs it does have pod filters when i got it. what size jets should it have?also is there anyplace to buy new cam chain,rings and gaskets?any help with carbs would be great

thanks
    tony

If it is a carb problem, it could be several things.
    Give us some plug reads (all four) after some normal city driving so we can narrow down the possibilities.
    Pod filters alone, will require raising the jet needle at least 1 or 2 positions from wherever the needle's e-clip is when stock. The main jet would have to be increased about 3 full sizes up from stock, but it depends on the brand of pod filters. The pilot circuits pilot and air screws would need some adjustments too. Normally for just pods, I would turn the pilot screws (underneath) out 1/4 to 1/2 turn from their stock positions and turn the side air screws out to about 1 3/4 turns or wherever the highest idle is achieved at normal operating temp'.
    Someone could already have made some adjustments (good or bad) so give us some plug reads and tell us what size jets you have.
    I believe the stock pilots are #15(?) and the mains are 102.5(?) I'm not sure about the needles e-clip, probably groove #2 or #3 from the top?
    I buy my parts from the Suzuki dealer, but I know you can find cheaper parts at Dennis Kirk, Bikebandit, etc?
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

plugs

went riding today then pulled the plugs almost all of them were black and dry my manual says its running rich how do i fix that?thanks

tony

Comment

rich

any ideas on how to fix ?

Comment

OK. You appear to be running rich. You said "almost" all of the plugs are black and dry. Does that mean 1 of them is OK or ?
          Before getting into the carbs, you need to be sure the ignition and the timing is working correctly. Correct plugs and plug gap. You need good voltage too from the battery. The compression should be checked if you are able to. If compression is low on any cylinder(s) good combustion is impossible. The pods must be cleaned and oiled.
          If you have a carb problem, a good synch may cure your problem. You say you cleaned the carbs, so I assume you did a good job. You could be rich because the floats need adjusting, or the float needle valves are worn or their o-ring/gasket is bad and leaking, the o-rings around the needle jet could be bad. You may have the jet needles raised too high and the mains/pilots could be too large. The pilot and air screws may be set wrong.
          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
          X