No announcement yet.

How to pry the pushrod seal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm sorry now for not taking a closer look at the seal. Whats with this flanged type? My dealer said there are two types but he didn't mention flanges. There was a type with didstance heels wich wasn't able to hammer in to far; and a type without this heels (wich I bought) and hammered in to far resulting in an oblique fit.

Comment

Not sure if the 550 is the same as the 450. I ordered a microfiche of all the parts for my bike so when I want to order parts I just stop by the local public library and look up the part numbers. The microfiche showed 2 options for the flange and also 2 options, depending on seal type, for the plate. The plate on my parts bike made me thing it was the flanged. Of course I couldn't be bothered to actaully check the bike I was actually working on. shame on me!

I checked the site where I got my fiche from and I don't see an '82 GS550ez, a few other 550's though.

Comment

Well...I got the seal in this morning so I shot home and replaced it. Went real smoothly this time because the old seal was so loose that it only took a small pit of prying with a small screwdriver to coax it out. I quickly took it out and pushed the new one into place. Didn't even drain the oil like I did last time. Seems to be holding up. I just drove the bike back to work and there was no sign of leaking oil. Yah!

Comment

congratulations

I've also got my seal now and I will try to replace it later this week. When I decribed what I did the first time for the dealer he told me I've must have had maximum bad luck. It is suposed that prying the old seal out is the most difficult part of the job, and that was quite easy, thanks to the tips in this thread.

Comment

So Finally

Now it stopped leaking. I noticed that the edges of the case were very sharp, and thats why my new seals kept tearing. I just rounded the edges a little with sandpaper and the new seal went in very easy. After my first ride there was a drop of black oil on the ground and I thought I had to give upp. I've however didn't see any more so the oil was surely from the chain (which I lubed at the same time when I had the case opened). Thanks for all the tips.

Comment

thanks for the update

-ryan
              78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
              82 Kat 1000 Project
              05 CRF450x
              10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Working...
              X