Stalling GS650

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stalling GS650

I've gotten my GFs 81 GS650GL running pretty good the last few years, but yesterday it was acting a little strange. We took a ride of about 190 miles and on the way home, it stalled as she was slowing down for a turn or a stop. Once restarted, it idles fine. This happened about 3 times. So, what do you guys think it may be. I can think of several things, but I figured I'd ask here first to find what you guys may think is most likely the problem. The first thing that comes to mind is a possible intake boot leak. What do you guys suggest?

Need input!

Read the plugs and let us know what they say. (If you reply "NGK" or the like, we shall smite you.)

Also, don't discount just a low idle, though it seems less likely if it idles fine. If it's borderline, it can lose out to a slight starvation as you decelerate the engine with the throttle closed.
    A lot more suction through the carbs than at idle, so it leans the mix while it drops RPM. A borderline idle setting can cause it to drop below the critical point this way.

Comment

Plugs are new, but the bike is running a little rich. Plugs are usually dark when pulled, not wet. I really would hate to have to tear down the carbs at this time of the year, but I will if I have to. The idle is about 1100 rpm.

Comment

Have you played with the mixture screws at all? It sounds to me like they may be a bit rich.

Comment

Yes, the screws are out about 1 3/4 turns

Comment

Drain the bowls and see what comes out. There is often a fine rust residue that comes from those tanks. Also look for water droplets.

Comment

Yes, the screws are out about 1 3/4 turns

Comment

Try turning the screws in a bit, maybe a 1/2 turn? You're looking for the best idle.

Comment

I should mention that you need to catch the bowl contents in a clean basin to look it over (not just dump it on the motor). I use an empty Castrol oil quart. Just cut the bottom 1" off and clean it out with carb or brake cleaner. It will snake under the carbs and catch the bolt as well as the bowl contents. Use the top of the oil quart for a funnel

Comment

Okay guys, I'll try this. In fact, I was going to drain the carbs. So, while I am at it, I will set up the merc stick and readjust the carbs.
                    Thanks

Comment

maybe floats are a bit high?

Comment

Working...
                      X