Running Temperature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running Temperature

Just a quick question, cos I can't find anything in the Clymer.

What should the running Oil temperature be on a '82 GS750E ?

In moderate weather, I'm seeing around 75C (165F) just pottering around country lanes at low speeds. Goes up to around 85C (185F) with 'purposeful' riding on regular roads, and close to 100C (210F) running 75 mph on the highway.

Does this sound about right ?

Thanks for any help.

Pete

Yes, 210 is where oil likes to be, but on air cooled motors that doesn't happen all the time. I think 230 is where you will start having overheating problems, but I'm not sure on that, never had to deal with it. I start getting concerned when it rises past 210.

Comment

Sounds as if I'm good, then. Thanks Luke.

I was just a little concerned because the previous owner had switched from the standard 10W40 oil to a 20W50 because the engine was using a lot of oil. Not burning it out the exhaust though. Mind you, I think he spent most of his time above 6k rpm on a 45k miles motor

I've switched it to Castrol RS, a full synthetic 10W60 race oil, and it seems to be fine. Just uses a spoonful over 100 miles at speed.

I was just a little thoughtful about the temperatures.

Thanks again.

Pete

Comment

I'm glad you posted this.
        This saturday I was stuckin accident traffic for about 20 minutes in 93 degree weather. After I got past the blockage I noticed that I could smell a little burning oil smell at the next light and my exhausts were kicking out a little whitish smoke. Not a lot at all but it was just barely noticeable.
        How can you tell what temperature your bike is at while you're riding?

Dm of mD

Comment

The GS750/700 of 83 and newer have an oil temp gauge in the instrument cluster. 210 degrees is a perfect temp as any water/condensation that is in the oil as a natural byproduct of combustion will burn off. I highly recommend synthetic oil for these bikes as they are hard on oil. Ride On, Ed.
          1983 GS750ED http://groups.msn.com/SuzukiGSGarage...o&PhotoID=3191
          2001 TL1000S

Comment

Ah ha!!! Wiataminute.

I have a small concern...fear...really.

When I switched to synth oil in my car it started leaking around the gaskets and I had to replace them all. This isn't going to happen with my bike too is it?
            That was a really bad experience and I dont' want to repeat it.
            My bike has 11k and change on it now...
            Is it too late? Cause i normally see people starting on synth at about 6k...

:?
            dm of mD

Comment

If your bike does not already use/burn/leak oil you should be OK. I have used Mobil 1 in my GS750 for its entire life with the exception of about 1500 miles for each new breakin after rebuild. It is great stuff and highly recomended for air cooled machines. I do not use it in my car or truck as I believe a good quality petroleum based oil like Valvoline is sufficient for a liquid cooled stock vehicle when changed at 3000 miles. I started Mobil 1 in the TL at 2000 miles with excellent results also. Good Luck, Ed.
              1983 GS750ED

2001 TL1000S

Comment

Okay kewl. I'll switch to synth at the next oil change.

Dm of mD

Comment

Working...
                X