Top End SHot? 85 Gs700es

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Top End SHot? 85 Gs700es

Just got a call from the repair shop. Took it in to have the Carbs cleaned and synced.
    Compression is as follows
    #1-80lbs
    #2-50lbs
    #3-0 lbs
    #4-120lbs

They were using a snap on gauge- so they are confident.
    They say the valves may be way out of adjustment, but could it cause that low of readings or should I just get rid of the bike. They are going to do a DROP DOWN test now, to see how bad it is.
    ANY ONE HAVE ANY IDEAS?

Valves would have to be seriously out of adjustment, but it's possible. Most valves get tighter with age, seldom looser. That far out though you would have clattering you couldn't miss. The cylinder with zero either has bent or burnt valve(s) or a cracked piston. Nothing short of a rebuild is going to fix that.

Comment

Was it running before? Did they hold the throttle open?

With readings that low it shouldn't even run.

The valves should be checked periodically regardless, but have them do it only if you are confident that these guys know what they are doing.

Comment

YEa, I rode it last year, and it was sluggish coming out of the hole, yet at around 5k RPM it was like a rocket.
        There was some clattering upon start up sometimes, and now it just starts with Ether. Then it dies out.
        So I am guessing maybe its shot eh?

Comment

If you're capable of pulling the head yourself you can get a good idea of what has happened. If you need any valves I've got some used ones I can dig through a get some good ones together.

Comment

So I am guessing I should just get it back from the shop, and do it myself then.
            I took it in because I did not have the time to put into the Carbs, to clean them and sync them.
            Then they call with this. AGHHHHH. I rebuilt my old jet ski motor, so I am guessing I could do the same here. I do not want to put much into it, is there something I can do just to get it running and unload it, guessing not though.
            I will let you know more when I talk to the shop again.
            Thanks ( appreciate the help on the valves too, )

Comment

I am not all that familar with whats involved here.

I just found out
              #1 Leaking from intake valve and rings
              #2 Leaking from Exhaust ( and probably rings)
              #3 Exhaust ( and rings probably)
              #4 Intake ( and probably rings)

They did a drop down compression test, and stated they only checked the rings on #1 but the rest are probably leaking too.

Comment

Oh gosh dude, you have my sympathy.

Dm of mD

Comment

Would I be able to Put an 83 GS750 Engine into my GS 700 E?
                  I have gotten lots of offers for the top end, or whole engines, this site is great, thanks

Will my carbs, and exhaust work, along with the Transmission?
                  or should I Get the 750 engine and just use the heads off of it?
                  I am at a loss as my bike is shot on the top end?

Comment

Same motor. Just different pistons, crank, rods, and exhaust cam. It will fit just like the 700 motor.

Comment

SO I can just put the motor right in, tune the carbs up and go?

Comment

Pretty much. Do a compression check and run the valve clearances on the replacement motor.

Comment

Hi I would be interested in doing a trade with you
                          I could use the crank from the 700 engine and anything else needed to perk my 750 mill up.
                          Let me know Mikey

Comment

Mikey,

The 700 crank and rods won't do you any good. That's how they took away the 50cc. The pistons and cams on the other hand. But then if I were him I'd be using them in my own motor.

Comment

Mikey?

I am looking for a motor to fix up my 700, I would take a 83 750 motor. I am not trading anything, I need the parts to get mine back up and running. When I put my 700 stuff in the 750? it would perk it up? really?

Comment

Working...
                              X