1st Gear Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st Gear Problems

Every once in a while my bike refuses to go into 1st gear. I end up being extreme with my gear shifting. This mainly happens after shifting into neutral at a stop light.

GS1100GLZ
    AMSOIL 20-50 ( in the previous owner ) ~ 12 years
    AMSOIL 10-40 ( presently ) ~ 9 months
    idle at 1600 rpm once warm
    shift normally at 4000 rpm
    stock engine
    cables feel smooth and tight

I've stopped shifting into neutral but I want to fix the problem!

help...

I've had the same thing happen to my bike. Its very uncommon and only happens when shifting to neutral from 2nd gear. When it did happen I could practically bend the shift lever trying to get it into first (never did). Finally a buddy suggested rocking the bike (front to back) while very lightly feathering the clutch (and while pushing down on the shift lever). He claimed it worked for his bike. Well, to make a long story short, I'm still waiting to try that trick as my bike has been shifting great. But I've gotten used to shifting all the way down into 1st gear as I'm approaching a stop (rather than coasting in and shifting to neutral from second). If it looks like I'll be waiting for a light for more than just a few seconds then I can toe it up into neutral. Good luck.

Comment

1st Gear Problems

hhhhmmmmm...
      It would seem that we have the same problem. I'll try that same solution. Thanks for the tip.

Comment

I've had a similar problem (GS450, 1982). Sometimes I accidentally put the bike in neutral from second gear. Then I try to put it into first and it gives a nasty grating noise. I have to gather up my courage and stomp on it to put it into first. I was wondering if I needed to adjust the clutch cable...?
        Tom

Comment

if you rolled to a stop wit the tranney in second then tried for neutral, would it pass neutral and go into first or if you stopped in first and tried for neutral then would it pass neutral and go to second--im just fishing i dont have any ideas-tranneys are for wizzards
          if it shifts ok the rest of the time i would be suspecting that the clutch is not releasing completely which would be more evident when you are stopped. also what oil are you using now while this problem is happening

Comment

Working...
          X