A couple quick clutch questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A couple quick clutch questions

I tore apart Paige today looking for answers as to why she was making such an awful noise below about 900 RPM. What I found was that the hub nut was loose and when I grabbed the basket I could wiggle it around.

#1 When I get that nut torqued down should I expect that the clutch basket will be solid and only be able to spin instead of wobble?

#2 What size is that nut? My 1" and up stuff is all in Sudbury since I don't work on transports anymore...little did I know. I'll have to buy a socket during the week.

#3 Is the clutch actuator shaft supposed to be really difficult to turn? I had to turn it with a pair of pliers just to get the cover off.

#4 On an entirely different note, can somebody mail me an R/R?

Thanks in advance, Steve

The shaft should spin easily. It may be bent from the hub nut being loose. The hub should tighten up when you tighten that hub nut but on the safe side I would remove and check out things. The hub probably runs on a set of needle bearings.

Comment

Re: A couple quick clutch questions

Originally posted by srivett
      #1 When I get that nut torqued down should I expect that the clutch basket will be solid and only be able to spin instead of wobble?
      Mine still had some lateral play...even after changing the roller bearing

#2 What size is that nut? My 1" and up stuff is all in Sudbury since I don't work on transports anymore...little did I know. I'll have to buy a socket during the week.
      not sure..... 32 mm stands out in my mind though

#3 Is the clutch actuator shaft supposed to be really difficult to turn? I had to turn it with a pair of pliers just to get the cover off.
      are you sure you weren't just using the arm as a lever to bust the gasket sealant loose? if the cover is stuck on the arm can't move out till the seal is broken

#4 On an entirely different note, can somebody mail me an R/R?

Thanks in advance, Steve

I've got a Honda one I can send you

Comment

Your basket will "wobble" just a fuzz sie to side...No in and out play. Rest, what they said.
        EULC ON

Comment

Even with the cover off the shaft won't spin unless I use a pair of pliers. I'll have to order a new seal and bearings to see if that makes things work a bit better as I don't want my clutch to start slipping.

Thanks guys, Steve

Comment

32 mm or 1 1/4 works. After buttoning that bolt down the noise is no longer continuous. Once in a while I can hear something so the basket has to go...or it will take itself out.

Steve

Comment

Working...
            X