Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are 1100 and 1150 clutch hubs interchangable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are 1100 and 1150 clutch hubs interchangable?

I called the local suzuki dealer and he said "you'll need to look at them both side by side". Well, gee thanks :roll: . Anyone here know before I go and buy an 1100 hub for my 1150?

I personally think there is a minor difference but several have said they will interchange. You shouldn`t have any trouble fnding one of those.

Comment

I have had 2 1100 hubs and 1 1150 hub in my 1150..Jay at MRE would be able to tell you exactly what the deal is..I may not have noticed the difference..Bike ran good with either hub..You may want to check what year 1100 hub works best..Thats what I would do if I was you.
      EULC ON

Comment

The gear on the 1150 clutch hub has 89 teeth & the gear on the 1100 clutch hub has 87 teeth. Also the springs are larger in the 1150 hub. I ran an 1100 hub in my 1150, while having the 1150 hub beefed up, but I didn't feel good about it. The two less teeth make the 1100 gear slightly smaller, in diameter, than the 1150 gear, so it appears to me that the teeth on the clutch gear would not mesh with the crank gear exactly as they were designed. While the 1100 hub was in my bike, I felt no difference, nor did I hear anything different, but I still knew the gears weren't meshing perfectly. The only difference I can find in the hub itself, is the size of the spring pockets on the back side.

Comment

Are we talking hubs or baskets? Hub to me is the piece that goes inside the basket that carries the steels and fibers(inner hub)...The gear to me is on the basket backside(inner engine side)...You can put an 1100 inner hub in an 1150 basket...
          EULC ON

Comment

ah, I meant the basket not the inner part. my bad

Comment

Originally posted by gsbill
              Are we talking hubs or baskets? Hub to me is the piece that goes inside the basket that carries the steels and fibers(inner hub)...The gear to me is on the basket backside(inner engine side)...You can put an 1100 inner hub in an 1150 basket...
              have an 1150 hub in my 1100 basket. i believe they are physically exactly the same except that the 1150 hub has a steel insert in the center where the 1100 hub just has the spline ways machined into it. I didn't know there was a spring diference unless you are talking about the basket on that point. I use the same pressure plate and the same springs((hd somebodys)) I also use Jay regan for avice. He gives it willingly no mater how much you spend. little or a lot.

Comment

Ah ha!!! I couldn`t remember the difference but there is a tooth difference in the two. Last summer a friend who has a bike shop and I compared the two baskets. The inner hubs are the same. gsbill I didn`t understand what you were talking about the other day by saying you milled the back of the hub but now I do...in my pea brain I was confusing hubs and baskets. We did the same thing to run a lockup. The inner hub was bad to break like that also. Mine cracked several. Regardless I don`t trust a stock hub. I had a 80 model 1100...that hub lasted about a month.

Comment

I guess its a "what its callled" amongst your peers thing. In reality, the backing plate, as I call it, is also sometimes called a hub also. Its that backing plate that gets the rivets welded and could also upgrade to the bigger springs..Alas, sometimes the 1100 inner hub is prefered because of the one piece design, sans the steel insert per the 1150 "new" style inner hub. Rumor has it that the steel insert busts loose ocasionally. Meanwhile Mookie knows he needs the 1150 basket to match his crank gear properly!

Peace
                  EULC ON

Comment

Originally posted by gsbill
                    I guess its a "what its callled" amongst your peers thing. In reality, the backing plate, as I call it, is also sometimes called a hub also. Its that backing plate that gets the rivets welded and could also upgrade to the bigger springs..Alas, sometimes the 1100 inner hub is prefered because of the one piece design, sans the steel insert per the 1150 "new" style inner hub. Rumor has it that the steel insert busts loose ocasionally. Meanwhile Mookie knows he needs the 1150 basket to match his crank gear properly!

Peace
                    I guess unlike materials can separate. I think it would be under racing condition that the 1150 hub could be a problem. I used it because i just thought it would not wear as much as the aluminum against the steel tranney shaft. No other reason. I heard about the centers coming loose after i installed it 8O

Comment

Working...
                    X