Exaust dialema

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exaust dialema

The stock 4 to 2 exaust on my gs 850 cracked on a trip last week. Im in the process of removing it and taking it to get wielded. When i took the exaust apart i see lots of rusted/stripped hardware . I started exploring the option of an aftermarket pipe. The Vance and Hines 4 to 1 megaphone system looks pretty nice. I was wondering what kind of performance/sound charges the new pipe would make. I know it would be a lot lighter. Oh yeah one more thing would i need to get a jet kit to rejet my carbs with this modification?
    I need help on this one folks

Thx alot
    Jus850

I never made the switch to a 4 into 1 system, but considered it. I followed alot of posts on this subject. Most people agree that it does increase performance and the bike has a better "sound". For sure you will need to rejet the carbs. Poke around the forums and you will have a almost endless supply of reading material on this subject.

Comment

Robert
      Thanks for the info i will check out some of the old forums.
      Turns out this little project is gonna be a pricy one after all.
      Jus850

Comment

850 exhaust system

I also have 850 and am checking into exhaust systems. Just got a reply from MAC telling me they only can sell me the megaphones-no header. Anyway, check out <www.accwhse.com>. They list the 4 into 1 and also a MAC system with turn out megaphones. Mine isn't shot yet, but chrome is bad on the headers. Hope to get this season and maybe another out of this. Anyway, good luck and please post results of your endeavor.

Comment

I am heading the other direction, I have a Kerker 4 into 1 exhaust and I am looking for a replacement 4 into 2. Many many hours looking around. Anyway, I am wanting to change because with the swept up Kerker, there is no room for saddlebags on the right side.

Also, the internal baffle tube is rattling around inside my muffler. And the header pipes are badly rusted.
          Good luck in your quest!
          GY

Comment

I might go the route of re-exhausting my bike if I could find a decent 4 into 2 system, without going bankrupt. I just don't really care for the look of the 4 into 1. It seems to break up the natural balanced look of the bike.

Comment

I'm going a completely different route. My V&H 4into 1 is rusty and sounds terrible, so I decided to go as far in the other direction as possible. Yes, I am building a 4 into 4 high flow system. All I need are headers, the rest I know where to get it. Total cost: about 200 dollars.

Comment

I agree with you guys i like the look of the 4 to 2 pipes. The previous owner looks to have switched the cans so the pipes are straight instead of swept up. He had it in full touring dress when i bought it. I think the long straight pipes look awesome, they scrape alittle on hard turns. But still i like them. i looked high and low to find a nice 4 to 2 straight system but i have had no luck. it is possible to refurbish the old pipes but there are a few holes. im thinkin of keeping them around incase i dont like the 4 to 1 system and i want a project this winter.
                good luck all
                jus850

by the way my mechanic says he has a way of shimming my carbs without getting a jet kit. i was sorta puzzled but hes familiar with the gs bikes, ill tell yall how it works out.

Comment

I have a GS1000S fitted with a Vance and Hines megaphone. Its light, looks great, sounds great and makes good power all throught he range as shown on a Dyno. There are no flat spots or any problems at all in the 4 years I have had this pipe.
                  I have made no modifications to the carburation at all. The V and H instructions suggest you can remove the airbox lid and upjet but I couldn't be bothered.
                  Highly recommended.

Comment

Working...
                  X