Key won't open gas cap.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Key won't open gas cap.

I just drove 1300 miles round trip to pick up an 82 model 650L.Now that I have her home,I can't get the gas cap to unlock.I called the guy I got it off of and he said he gave me the only keys for it.He also never mentioned that it had been in a building that cought on fire and smoked the bike up badly,until after I drove all the way to Ny.Anyway,it opens the helmet lock and works the ignition but will not turn the cap lock.Is there any way to pick or cheat this lock?He gave me one old key and one that looks brand new and they are the same key number so,either it's not the right gas cap or the lock is froze up.It feels more like the wrong key though.I shot the hole full of wd40 and let it soak for hours but it didn't help.The key goes in fine but only turnes about 1/8 of an inch.Would drilling the lock out be safe?It has a few ounces of gas in it.

there are several options Check the cap It may have a key # on it, Take the key # of the tank or the hole tank to a lock smith last resort drill it

Comment

Spray some graphite in the lock. It might just have a little rust or trash in it that needs to be loosened up.

Comment

Key

On mine, the key number is on the key and also the cap. 8O
        1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Re: Key

Originally posted by chuckycheese
          On mine, the key number is on the key and also the cap. 8O
          The 2 keys I have have the same 3 digit # on them and work everything else on the bike.The cap doesn't have a # on it though.

Comment

Try the locksmith. Those guys can do a lot of things with locks that most of us can't imagine. I had a problem with the lock on my 850 a few months ago. I took it to the local locksmith and now it works fine.

Comment

I finally picked the lock!Once I got it off I took it apart and took out a few pieces so any key will now fit it.

Comment

Working...
              X