Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Power to instrument cluster try to start nothing...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power to instrument cluster try to start nothing...

Hi all I really need help here, I put in a new battery fully charged in, the instrument cluster lights up then I press start...nothing and also the it turns off the instrument cluster, I then turn the key off wait a bit the turn on the instrument cluster and try again nothing the cluster goes out...what the ...
    The fuses seem alright, I hold the clutch in, the battery reading is 12 volts fully charged, etc... help.

ground

Sounds like a bad ground, the lights work because they're drawing very little juice, 10A? if that, The second you hit the switch the amperage draw goes up, the bad ground can't handle it and opens the circuit, if I had to guess it's either at the battery or the ground where it attaches to the frame....Mike

Comment

thanks for the tip

I have a 83 gs750es can anyone here email me the wiring diagram for this bike please, or direct me to the ground wires?

Thank you very very much

Comment

PM me your email address. I'll try to email a diagram to you.

Comment

This site may help. I don't see a 750es specifically but there is a 750L.

Comment

Thank You

Thank you for all your help it seemed to be that the starter button did not seem to be grounded, I put a wire from the negative pole of the battery straight to the handle bar and wouldn't you know it turned over right away...so I checked what was under about a foot of black tape and thier was a spliced wired, so i fixed that and removed my make shift ground wire and viola it turns over, this was the first time I actually heard it run...pretty rough, alot of smoke out of the pipes it must have sat for about two or three year, good thing I had changed the plugs and oil/filter before.
            I am as happy as a pig in s#&t right now, Thanks Again.
            BTY the lights all work, horn works, and even the gear indicators (I am really surprised about that)
            My next project is the gear lever doesn't come back down after shifting up, and I think the clutch is stuck or burnt I had it on the center stand and I shifted in first with the clutch in but the wheel started turning as if it was engaged???
            Any thoughts???

Comment

drag

More than likely just drag from the oil.
              On a cold morning, if I don't put mine in neutral the drag will make mine hard to start. If I don't let it run for awhile it'll stall because of the drag unless I rev it up a bit, nothing special around 2-2500 just enought to keep it going.
              The next time you've got it on the center stand try holdng your foot against the tire and see if you can stop it, if not let it warm up a bit and try again. This is assuming of course that the clutch is adjusted correctly....Mike

Comment

Working...
              X