GSX 400 E 1981 questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GSX 400 E 1981 questions

I recently traded my boat for this bike, it`s my first big bike except for my Kawasaki KX 125 dirtbike and my two mopeds hehe. Anyway, the bike has 67.000 km`s on the clock and I`m wondering about the cam chain. How long is the normal lifetime of a cam chain ? What are the signs of a bad cam chain ? When my engine is cold, I can hear som "rassling", but when I have ridden it for just a little while the sound goes away. A friend of me said that was normal , he said it was because of the oil pressure building up.
    Otherwise my bike starts up imediately, without choke and idles fine.
    I guess I don`t have to worry about this engine going "raw" , when "small riding it" , like back and a forth without that much rpms, like getting the mail from the mailbox and suff like that.

Is the GSX 400 uncommon ? There are very few topics about this bike !

I'm not too sure what the procedure is on checking the tensioner or chain but mine does it too... The American GS400's have 2vavles/cylinder while the Canadian and European GS400's have 4 valves/cylinder. As a result not a whole lot of people will talk about them.

Steve

Comment

I have an '81 GS450SX, and ever since i can rember she has had a 'gentle' cam chain noise when i am idling at the lights, i have asked quite a few friends/mechanics, and most have said it is common on alot of bikes, and not to worry about it, so i haven't...

Comment

That gentle mechanical rustle sounds normal - I owned a GSX250 and it's very similar to the 400. The 400 never sold well for some reason and they are very rare now. If the ends of the cam covers on your engine are rectangular (rather than round) with chrome caps, you've got the 8-valve version. I still have a Haynes manual for the 250/400 if you need any info.

Comment

Thanks for the messages !!

Now I`m even more relaxed while riding .
          I have a Haynes manual for my bike. My bike has the rectangular covers, so it has 8 valves.

Just one question, if the cam chain goes to XXX will it cause a major engine breakdown ? Yesterday I spoke to the previous owner, he said that the chain had been changed a while ago !

My Haynes manual doesn`t say how many HP`s this bike got, but I think it has about 40. Anybod who knows ?

Ciao

Comment

Go to http://www.universal.nl/users/vdb/suz.htm and click below the picture of the bike. It says 41hp.

Rich, what does the book say to set the chain slack to? I've been guessing since I got my bike.

Thanks, Steve

Comment

Chain slack should be 20 to 30mm (0.8 to 1.2 inches) according to the manual & measure the slack at the centre of the lower chain run.

Comment

Working...
              X