82 GS300 blowing fuses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 GS300 blowing fuses

Hey, I'm new to this board. My bike just started blowing fuses (the main one out of the battery). It'll start up and run for 5-30 seconds, then the fuse'll pop. I noticed that one of the wires from the rectifier to the AC generator gets warm to the touch when it runs. Any thoughts?

FYI, she's got 13000 miles and a fair bit of rust from storage near the coast.

-Brian[/code]

another interested development. I pulled out the AC generator rotor (the stator assembly, has like 20 coiled feet on it). there is a shard of metal connecting two of the feet. i'm gunna yank the piece out, of course. do you think that this metal piece is the source of my electrical problems???

thanx much
    Brian

Comment

If you know for certain it doesn't belong there pull it out. Check the insulation on the magnet wire very close for damage. If the insulation is damaged it needs to be recoated with a high heat, oil proof epoxy. If the windings are damaged too badly the stator could be shot.

Comment

guess not. put it all back together, and it ran for about 30 seconds, then the fuse popped.

Comment

Working...
        X