• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550E only fireing on 3 cylinders!!!

:x
    Good morning to u all
    Just aquired an old GS550E 1979 v Reg.
    Problem is this, the bike has been lying for over a year and won't start, so i stripped down the carbs and gave them a good overhaul put it all back together and the bike finally started but only on 3 cylinders.
    Cylinder No2 does not fire but there is a good spark at the plug.
    I took out the plug but it was dry, so that to me mst mean that there is no fuel getting to the cylinder hence it not fireing.
    anybody out there got any suggestions ideas to sort out i hope a little problem

PS
    I had one of these great GS550E models 25 years ago.

Cheers

Only four things needed for combustion: fuel, air, compression, and spark.

If the plug is dry...........there is no fuel getting to that carb, there is an obstruction somewhere.

Drain the fuel bowl on #2:

no fuel.............float valve stuck in the closed position
    fuel..........obstruction in the pilot circut

Hope this helps,

Dr. Dre

Comment

Hi there Dr Dre.

Thanks for the advice
      I will try that out in the morning and let you know how i got on

Cheers

Comment

GS550E

Hi there again,

tried what you said but everything there was ok, seems like fuel had been flowing but not fireing.
        I built it all up again and fitted it back on the bike and tried to start it, it did eventually start but again only on 3 cylinders until about a minute later then it seemed to fire on No2 cylinder. The exhaust pipe was getting very hot on No2 so i think from that it was fireing ok.
        But with the sound coming from the engine it sounds is if that either the cylinder head gasket is blown or a valve is is faulty so it looks like i will have to remove the head for inspecting hoping not to sheer any of the bolts.

This is a long job for me so i will let you know how i get on in about a months time.

Any sugestions will be appreciated in the meantime.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
        X