What to look for in rebuild of overheated engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to look for in rebuild of overheated engine

Last summer at Sturgis, I was in stop and go traffic after a hard day of ridding and my 79' GS850 overheated, (white smoke out of exhaust, finally died and I couldn't restart, I realize now I probably should have shut her down, but I was with a group and could not afford to get separated as we had not decided where we were stopping). So anyway, I am doing a rebuild of the engine and need to know what to check. (side note, I was able to get it started the next day, but compression is shot (burned valves? Scored cylinder?), top speed is 30mph downhill, had to ride it to Keystone, SD (friend living there) and wait for my Dad to drive from Kansas (because every single U-haul etc. was rented out by rich yuppies who buy expensive bikes but can't ride them more than 50 miles in a day). So, in short, what should I make sure to double check and I was planning on doing a full rebuild, not just top end, is this probably the best thing? Thanks in advance.

P.S. I swaped that engine for one out of an 80 gs850, but I want to put it back to stock (I had to make adapter plates so my 79 carbs would work with the 80 engine and they look pretty nasty with all of the gasket sealant needed to make them air tight, also I have never done a rebuild and want to know how).

Goodness gracious, that sucks dude.
    Just more confirmation that I am NOT riding in this "Ride/parade to the Memorial" this weekend.
    I'll be damned if my bike is gonna be counted with the overheated harleys on the side of the road.

Worked too damn hard on it to lose it now.

Dm of mD

Comment

I would doubt you would have to do a complete rebuild, just the top end.
      You probably fried the rings. As a side not you would probably want to go thru the whole motor to replace all of the seals

Comment

Check the piston skirts too. Measure the pistons and cylinders.

Comment

Working...
        X