Front Wobble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front Wobble

So I just finished putting the bike together and made a quick run around the block to see if things were OK. The work I did was to clean the brakes and install a new steering bearing. The bike feels like it is pulling, almost a wobble. What could I have done wrong? Brakes don't appear to be grabbing, all bolts tight. Tire pressure OK, air pressure in forks OK. Not sure what I might have missed.

Any thoughts?

Did you have instructions to go by on the steering head? Loosen all the pinch bolts on the fork and start at the axle retightening everything working your way up.

Comment

No instructions...just did the reverse of taking it down. Is there an alignment I am not aware of?

Comment

Everything will line itself up by starting at the bottom of the fork and tightening as you go up. Torque the round steering stem nut to 30-35 lbs. Then turn the bars lock to lock 5 or 6 times to seat the bearings and back off on the steering stem nut 1/4 turn. Leave it like this then put the top clamp on and its nut.

Comment

Come to think of it, the handelbars have hardly been moved since I did the job. I did torque the bolt to 30. As for lining up, it should be OK as I started at the bottom and moved up.

Thanks for the help btw.

Comment

We are talking about the round nut that fits just below the top clamp. You just initially tighten to 30 lbs to seat the bearings then back off slightly after seating them. The top clamp will keep the nut from moving once it's on.

Comment

Working...
            X