fuel in the air box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fuel in the air box

i've got a 83 gs550e. fuel is leaking from the left carb into the air box. i've been told the carb needs to be rebuilt. i am having serious trouble finding a carb rebuild kit for my 83 gs550e. it has mikuni carbs. is there a way around the rebuild kit? if not, any sugestion on where i can get a kit.

also, rear tire has rotted. what's the widest tire i can put on the bike? it had a 110/90 18 on the rear. :?

You probbly don't need a complete rebuild kit. Look for posts here by Robert Barr. He sells o-ring kits. It's probably the rings around the float valve seats that are shot. If that's all you need the size that comes in repair kits for the tips of pump up garden sprayers will do. Your petcock isn't working right either. As long as you don't have the petcock on prime it shouldn't flow when the engine is off.

Comment

www.motorcyclecarbs.com for 'odd' rebuild kits...

Also, e-mail ghoffman4@cfl.rr.com, he sells full-set rebuild kits for $69 on e-bay...

I ordered one for my '80 GS-850, and got 4 older K&L kits (cardboard/cork gaskets, not rubber). They worked great...

He might have one for your 550..

You'll need to replace your needle-valve seats, valve seat o-rings, and pilot-jet plugs (the rubber stopper thingy) to ensure no leakage...

Also, check your float height before you do any of the above, it just might be that...

Comment

You could need new orings or there are also other prime suspects. (Nyuk nyuk nyuk).

1) You may have a bad petcock.

2) You may have bungled-up carb floats. (as mentioned by Dave_A)

Each of these devices are supposed to shut off fuel long before it floods out the airbox.

Michael

Comment

look for Robert Barr on ebay nowadays or his id is robertbarr pretty easy. SUper fast shipping too got in 2 days! I bought carb gaskets through bikebandit at about $6.00 a piece. between those two items I just mentioned it should fix your carb if it is the real issue. good luck

Comment

Fuel in the airbox followup

Fuel does not leak of flow into the airbox when the bike is not running. Sorry I didn't say that up front.
            I appreciate your responses.

Comment

Working...
            X