Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mixture screws

I have an 85 700e with a K&N drop in and 4 to 1 CV carbs

Ok I am running a touch on the lean side so I popped off the seals on the mixture screws and was adjusting them last week. Made no difference to the idle of the bike like I expected it too. I went out an extra 2 turns and and even 2 turns in no change at all.

Am I wrong in my thought process on this? I thought i read here some time ago that by turning out it would make the bike run a little more rich and cause the idle to increase.

Thanks in advance on this

If the circuits are clean and the tips of the screws are in good shape you will find a range of about 1/4 turn where it idles best. It should fall somewhere in the 2-3 turn out range.

Comment

2 to 3 turns out of range? is that from tight in or where they are now? SHould the idle increase?

Sorry for the dumb questions first time messing with mixture.

Comment

That's from all the way in. Turn them in until they just seat, not any tighter. If you go too tight you can break off the tips. When you get each screw in its sweet spot you'll hear the idle smmoth out. Watch the tach too. The idle will go up slightly once you get them right.

Comment

Billy

Iam a little confused. 2-3 turns from and seat 1/4 turn either way?
          or 1/4 turn from seat. My 1100 can't get past 1/2 turn from seat and i am too rich. Haven't figured out why. Floats are perfect. (set with sight glass).
          Where else could i be getting the extra fuel. Choke valves are returning all the way with "slop" in the cable to boot. only 33-35 mpg.

Comment

nert,
            There's really no set value for how many turns. If it runs fine at 1/2 turn from seated that's okay. You're just trying to find the spot where the engine is happiest. The 1/4 turn is usually a range where you won't see much differencewhen adjusting.

Comment

Working...
            X