Spark plug wire caps rotted and spark is jumping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spark plug wire caps rotted and spark is jumping

My bike started to idle poorly, but run fine otherwise. So I hit the old Clymer and it said to check the ignition. So I'm checking around the engine and notice that the spark is jumping from the plug up to the cap (the thing you stick onto the plug). The cap is all cracked and in poor shape (only right around the plug tho), so I'm going to order some immediately, but my question to you is, has this happed just because the bike sat outside for a long time, and the rubber broke down, or could it be some other problem causing the spark to jump, thus ruining the rubber? Also, when I replace those caps do I just pull them off and stick new ones on, or do I have to replace the entire wires? It's a 1988 450L with 14,000 miles. Thanks.

Re: Spark plug wire caps rotted and spark is jumping

the center pin inside the spark plug caps are coarse thread screws, so they should be turned on or turned off. Hold the wire and turn the cap counter clocklwise to loosen/remove the cap.
    Just "screw" the new ones on to the wires. They probably cracked due to being outside/ sun, weather etc.

Earl

Originally posted by cheetahwheelies
    My bike started to idle poorly, but run fine otherwise. So I hit the old Clymer and it said to check the ignition. So I'm checking around the engine and notice that the spark is jumping from the plug up to the cap (the thing you stick onto the plug). The cap is all cracked and in poor shape (only right around the plug tho), so I'm going to order some immediately, but my question to you is, has this happed just because the bike sat outside for a long time, and the rubber broke down, or could it be some other problem causing the spark to jump, thus ruining the rubber? Also, when I replace those caps do I just pull them off and stick new ones on, or do I have to replace the entire wires? It's a 1988 450L with 14,000 miles. Thanks.
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

I posted a question about spark plug boots a while back, and found out from the guys here that replacement NGK boots are a whole lot cheaper than the Suzuki parts. It's worth checking out if you have to replace your plug boots.

Comment

You don't have to replace the HT wires, but do cut them back a little, say 1/4", to give you a good end to screw the plug cap onto.
        As Jeff said, NGKs are good, and cheaper.

Comment

Where can you get the NGK replacement boots? any special part numbers or such?

Comment

wires

IS THERE ANY WAY TO REPLACE THE WIRES WITHOUT BUYING NEW COILS?

Comment

use NGK plug caps XB05F and VB05F short one for 1&4 long one for 2&3

Comment

Yes you can replace the coil wires, see subject COILS AND HT LEADS on page 3.
                Axel

Comment

replacing the wires

Axel- thanks, buddy for pointing me to the right place. I am going to replace my wires now instead of replacing coils that are ok because of wires that are deteriated.

Comment

Working...
                  X