Help with 1100/1150 front end swap frustration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with 1100/1150 front end swap frustration

I just put '84 1150E triple trees on my '81 1100EX only to find that the 16" 1150 wheel I have won't fit without pulling the speedo mount, and even then the calipers interfere. Could someone who is familiar with the front end of each of these bikes please tell me- do I need both the calipers and forks off of an 1150, or could I get away with just one or the other? Could I maybe just use some other forks that don't have the leading axle? I have looked through the posts and tried to decipher the schematics at BikeBandit, but to no avail. I would be immeasureably grateful for your help. Thanks.

Austin

You will need the speedo drive and calipers off the 1150.
    Dink

Comment

Hope you don`t get into that dreaded headshake problem with the 16 inch wheel.

Comment

Aw cheer up Chris. I no longer have any kind of headshake or instability on my 1150. Its only a matter of perserverance to find the little bugger responsible. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by cbxchris
        Hope you don`t get into that dreaded headshake problem with the 16 inch wheel.
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Still waiting on tires...... :roll:

Comment

It turns out that there is not enough room between the leading axle forks for the 1150 wheel and speedo drive. So I pulled the spedo drive and made my own spacers. I swapped out my 1100 rotors for 1150s, and the 1100 calipers now seem to fit fine (the 1100 rotors have little protruding cylindrical joiners between the inner and outer rings- that was where the interference was). I also turned the forks around so that the leading axle is now a trailing one. I'm hoping that this will increase stability, in addition to compensating slightly for the lowering in height due to the smaller wheel. Do any of you know how to calculate steering geometry in terms of rake and trail? Also, what problems have you found with headshake using that 16" wheel? I am waiting on new brake lines and a clutch cable to come in before I test out my rig. Any input is appreciated. Thanks, and take care.

Austin

Comment

What dreaded head shake? The only time my ES has ever shaken it's head was when the front tire was worn down to the nubbins and my hands were off the bars. (don't ask) Even coming down crossed up over a rise in the road only produces a single wiggle.
              Doze.

Comment

Working...
              X