ENGINE TROUBLE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ENGINE TROUBLE

I just rebuilt the engine of my gs 750. I installed a 850cc kit in it. The engine is now all back together and i cant seen to get it to start. It seems to be getting gas and spark. The cam was set like it specified in the manual(take the arrows on the cam and point them up, make sure there are 20 links between the arrows on each cam) the only thing I'm uncertain about is the firing order. It has after market k&n filters, dyna electronic ignition, dyna coils, accel wires, and vance and hines 4 to 1 exhaust. I dont know if any of these parts could be causing a problem. It ran fine before i tore down the engine. If anyone has any ideas I'm open to suggestions.

JAKE

I'm not sure how to tell which coil does what plugs, but I know that one coil does 2 and 3 and the other coil does 1 and 4. Hope that helps.

Comment

Try swapping the sparkplug leads.
      That was the cause of my bike not starting about a month ago when I got new coils. I connected the leads from the coils to the opposiite sparkplugs.

Dm of mD

Comment

Tips for starting an engine that has been 'dead for a while:
        1. Ensure a fully charged battery
        2. Ensure your carbs are primed
        3. Try starting it a few times then remove the spark plugs. If they are wet then you are getting fuel to the pots. Clean the plugs and try again.
        4. Remove each plug in turn, connect it to it's HT lead, lay the body of the plug on the engine & turn the motor over. Check to see if it is sparking
        5. If all the above are correct then I have, in the past, Jump started my bikes from my car as this gives a more constant and more powerful spark. If you do this then make sure that you connect the negative part of the car battery to an earth on your frame well away from your bike battery as this will then absorb a lot of the power spike from the more powerful charging gear in your car. Also do not keep your thumb on the bike's starter motor for too long.
        Keep your plugs clean between attempts. Let me Know how you get on and I will pass on more advice if you need it. I have been a dab hand at getting old bikes started for some years now.

Comment

It does sound like you've done everything right but may have crossed the sparkplug leads. I seem to recall one coil serves the inner two cylinders, the other the outer two but, please, check your shop manual to be sure. I would try some starter fluid first--Whoa, Nellie! If it starts and runs but not great then your problem is most likely with the carbs. If it still won't start then I think the plug leads are askew.

Comment

Working...
          X