Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Foot brake adjustment?

Folks,

When I'm riding my 450 my right foot is bent up at an uncomfortable angle because the brake pedal is so high. I noticed I could remove the foot brake lever, rotate it down, and put it back on the pivot. Is this an acceptable solution, or will it make the foot brake too hard to press? (I thought I'd ask first rather tha just try it, seeing as how I like to stop occasionally.)

Dave

Clymer says to regularly make this adjustment. I'm not sure how far down you should put it but you change it by adjusting the linkage arm.

Michael

Comment

Yeah...you can move the whole lever down by R&R...You can also adjust it down as stated...If you move it on the shaft it may hit other parts of the bike and not work properly..For safetys sake check it twice if ya do that..You can also bend your existing lever to suit your needs...You cut 2/3 thru it where you want the bend at on the side you want to bend to...then weld it up in the new shape...Good Luck!
      EULC ON

Comment

I set my foot brake lever position by rotating it on the splined shaft. Set it so that when your foot is on the peg/footrest in your normal riding position, the brake lever is about 1/4" beneath the sole of your boot. Then adjust the rod length so that the slightest depression of the brake lever engages the rear brake. I leave about 1/8" free play in my brake pedal. Put the bike on the centerstand and spin the rear wheel with your hand to be sure the brake is not engaged when the pedal is in the full up position. Adjust travel rod if needed.

Earl
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

If you change it on the splines you get a really big difference, otherwise adjust the screw behind the pivot. I guess you'll need to adjust the brakes themselves too or they'll be dragging? I've never done this before.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by srivett
            If you change it on the splines you get a really big difference, otherwise adjust the screw behind the pivot. I guess you'll need to adjust the brakes themselves too or they'll be dragging? I've never done this before.
            Dad always said "if you fiddle with someting long enough it'll break." Well, I fiddled with the pivot stop screw and broke the head off.

Does anyone know what the dimensions on that screw are? It's a 10mm hex head, but I don't know what the thread is. I'd like to stop and get one one the way home from work today.

Dave

Comment

It's a standard M6x1 metric bolt (6mm x 1.0 thread).

Comment

Working...
              X