Leaky Final Drive…

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaky Final Drive…

I have an 82? GS650L with a leaky final drive (wheel side), which leaves me with a very grease rear tire. I?ve read the maintenance manual and identified a gasket and an O-ring that maybe the cause. Has anyone opened up the final drive with a handyman?s set of tools, if so any suggestions, or should this job be left to a professional?

I haven't had one appart but it does not look very dificult If you have the tools do it yourself

Comment

It is most likely the Drive Flange seal. If you take the wheel off, you will be able to see where it is leaking.

The O ring is used to seal the cover. I have owned a 79 GS850G, 80 GS1000G and currently own an 82 GS1100G, and I have never had an O ring leak. I put over 100,000 miles on the 1000 and had a flange seal fail once.

If you have to open the differential to replace the O ring, be EXTREMELY CAREFUL. It is not hard, but if you misplace a shim, you will be very unhappy.

My guess is that the driven flange is worn and has torn the seal. You can replace the seal with the differential on the bike. If the flange is worn, you must replace it as well.

Good Luck

Comment

Thanks for the reply; I intend to take a look this weekend and I?ll post my findings.

Comment

Working...
        X