Best manual for GS550ES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best manual for GS550ES

Hi folks! I just acquired a 1985 GS550ES that's been sitting for a while. Who has the best service manual? It looks like I can choose from Haynes, Clymer, or Suzuki.

Many thanks!

Haynes Haynes Haynes Haynes Haynes Haynes Haynes Haynes Haynes Haynes Haynes. I have an 83 Gs550E and that book is nothing short of my bible. I've heard that Clymer books arent so good. Not sure on the suzuki, but the Haynes are fantastic.

Comment

The Suzuki manual gives you tons of pictures but some items are sorely lacking (such as carb rebuilding, etc). As for picture by picture detail, the Suzuki manual wins hands down. Now the haynes has much better discriptions, so you probably want to pick up both.

Kenny
      85 GS550EF
      85 FJ1100N

Comment

Cool! It looks like the Haynes are the least expensive, and you guys like 'em, so I'll pick one up today.

Thanks for the quick replies!

Comment

I bought a Clymer for my 81400, it's not bad, but I imagine there's gotta be a better one out there. If I buy another manual sometime it'll be haynes. Cylmer says not to touch the carbs on a bike built after...79 maybe, cause of the emissions standards. And they didn't start 400's til 78, so there's not much carb stuff in there. Good luck with the manual and the new bike.

And if it's not in the manual, or just not clearly described, you can just post here, you'll find there's not many questions that can't be answered by the gurus here.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry Rivers-Bowerman
            Cylmer says not to touch the carbs on a bike built after...79
            Thanks for the tip Barry. I hate it when they do that. I made my living for a few years as a drivability and electrical tech at a dealership, so I'm spoiled by factory manuals. I remember as a kid though when I would go digging through an aftermarket manual for a procedure and it would just say, "not recommended for a DIYer."

Some aftermarket manuals are positively worthless, hence the question I posed to you good folks. I've ordered the Haynes and if I need anything beyond that I'll just come to this board.

Thanks again for the heads up on the Clymer books.

Comment

No problem, and welcome to the GSR!

Comment

NP Plan, again welcome!

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Comment

Working...
                  X