Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upper yoke fork position

Hey everyone :
    Was reading wrenching with Rob and he said that the handling changes with the position of fork tube in upper yoke. Couldn't find any such info in the manual or on this site . There seems to be two options , the fork tube flush with the yoke top or the cap flush with top . Anyone know the proper place? Also have got a 4-5 deg out of plane between the front and back tire any simple tricks to bring this down abit ?
    Thanks

What Model?

Comment

The two positions you mentioned are only but a few. If you want to level the bike out or just play around with the handling - experiment and drop the front. If you don't like it change it back.

If you have air forks be aware that you cannot go beyond the air port.

Comment

Now..If ya really want, you can go beyond the air hole in your forks...However you will loose the air assist...Just weld that hole shut, be sure it finishes below the surface of the fork(you will never get it up in the clamps if you dont)...Then you have full height adjustability!

This mod is sort of permanent..but it works.

If ya wnat both...you can thread air valves into the top of the forks and put a single fill air tube on...Fun aint it!

Or if ya want to drop your nose some, just slug the fork tubes..this way you will lose front end travel.
        EULC ON

Comment

Upper fork position

Thanks for the replies
          The bike is a GS850GX 1981 , since the front tyre is tilted out of plane by about 4 degs. it rides as thou it is constantly turning to the left . this is very uncomfortable as I have to put constant pressure on right bar to counter this effect . Bike is stable up to 85 mph . I would of thought that Suzuki originally intended the fork tube to be in a specific place ?

Comment

So can you get your tire back to zero by sliding one tube further up or down than the other? Make sure they re exaxtly the same. If you havent messed with em yet and your front end is out of wack, you may have another problem area(somethings bent)
            EULC ON

Comment

Pull that front axle out and see if it's bent. If the bike has not been in a crash it may be something simply. Do you do alot of wheelie's
              1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
              1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
              1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
              1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
              01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

Thanks for the replies
                The bike is a GS850GX 1981 , since the front tyre is tilted out of plane by about 4 degs. it rides as thou it is constantly turning to the left . this is very uncomfortable as I have to put constant pressure on right bar to counter this effect . Bike is stable up to 85 mph . I would of thought that Suzuki originally intended the fork tube to be in a specific place ?
                You have a problem there that lowering the forks will not address. Do as Jake recommends and check out the axle, wheel bearings, etc. Unclamp your forks and rotate them to see if they are bent. Something is wrong.

Comment

Upper yoke fork position

Well I have checked both front and rear axles -perfectly straight.
                  all bearings are ok, I lowered the right fork about 3 mm and took it for a ride it is much better almost comfortable but still not like riding a motorbike. Set the bike back up in workshop wheels aligned but this time I leveled the top of the frame with the floor, then rechecked the tilt on the front and back wheels found the front tilted to the left about 1 deg. and the back about 3 degs to the right. would I be correct in saying the whole frame seems to be bent ? I had this bike apart and checked the frame etc. and found no signs of a dump or crash. I wonder could such twisting be done by doing wheelies badly? I got this gs850 in Jan and have been rebuilding since then. anyone know what side effects come with lowering one fork over the other ?

Comment

Working...
                  X