time for clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

time for clutch

GS1100GL. How much time to replace the clutch discs? Have discs, springs, gasket, and tools. HAve a free hour tonight. Should be possible?

Yes, throw the fibers in some oil asap to get them soaking. Changing a clutch on these bikes is easy.

Comment

GREAT tip. I will do it now.
      thanks

Comment

yes very easy i just got done with mine a couple weeks ago. another tip that was posted when i asked was that you don't have to drain the oil if the bike is leaned over on the side stand.

Comment

Originally posted by cguardsman
          yes very easy i just got done with mine a couple weeks ago. another tip that was posted when i asked was that you don't have to drain the oil if the bike is leaned over on the side stand.
          Wow! Great little tidbit, and in the knick of time -- I'm hoping to do my 1100G this weekend! Any other words of wisdom? This will be the first time I've done this myself...

Thanks in advance,
          Steve 8)

Comment

it was my first time changing a clutch too and it was very easy! just take out all the disks and hold them in one hand and as you put a plate in dicard the old fiber and put in a new one. goes back in just like it came out! do you have a gasket?? oh and before jumping on it and going for a ride make sure you adjust your cable!

Comment

yep, quite easy. Put the bike on the side stand and pull up on the handle bars. This gets the bike tilted even more. A board through the back wheel will keep it from spinning as I found it tricky torquing the big nut down with the brake on.

Steve

Comment

Cool! Looking forward to doing it, and I will definitely remember to adjust the cable before I do something embarassing and stupid!

Thanks All!

Steve 8)

Comment

I found that it took more time to scrape off the old gasket than to actually replace the clutch itself. One piece of advice -don't overtighten the bolts that hold the clutch springs in place.

Good luck.

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                  X