'82 1100E sprocket change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'82 1100E sprocket change

I'm interested in gearing my bike down for better acceleration. What sprocket combo would I need to go with that still allows me to keep the same chain?

Just a question to consider - what kind of shape is your current chain in now? If it is new, no problem to just swap out the sprocket(s), but if the chain is tired it will eat a new set of sprockets in no time flat. That's a poor way to treat your investment in stronger acceleration.

If it was me, I would change out the chain and sprockets as a set and go to a 530 or even a 520 at the same time. A quick and easy way to try it is to swap out only the front sprocket with one that has one less tooth. That's easiest and cheapest. Maybe try that first with the stock chain, then when you have it sorted, go to a full new chainset with the smaller chain.

Wow, that was a long answer. Work must not be engaging enough this morning...

Mark

Comment

This may help.
      As to changing gearing, I left mine stock.

Keith
      -------------------------------------------
      1980 GS1000S, blue and white
      2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

better accelleration???? My 82 1100e will keep up with my friends f4i in the 1/4 mile......

he can only pull just ahead of me in a 1/4 mile run it is plenty quick....

changing your gearing will only ruin the crappy gas mileage the 1100s get anyway.

If you do change the gearing you will need to get a new chain too as old chain and new sprockets will kill both, if you add new chain or sprockets you need to do both new.

for more acell add a stage 3 jet kit via dennis kirk for 120$, and a 4 to 1 exhaust for 200 and you will add 10hp
        for the 200 you will spend for new chain and sprockets you can spend 300 for exhaust and jet kit

Earth brown 82 1100e

Comment

Working...
        X