No Brake Pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Brake Pressure

I recently took the calipers off of my front wheel on my 83 GS550E, so that I could get my forks fixed. Its been about 2 weeks since I've had the brakes off. I come to put the brakes on and put fluid back in. I bled the air out of the anti-dive and calipers on both sides, but still no pressure. I called someone and they told me that I might have to replace the master cylinder. Do you guys think thats what it could be? Any suggestions or similar situations would help

Thanks
    -Matt

keep bleeding them! you could try just cracking the various joints on the system as you may have an air lock in there somewhere. Another suggestion is to connect a hose to both bleed nipples on the antidive bleed nipples, and tape the lever back, fill the reservior(sp?) and tap on the lines, this helps to move the air.
    Dink

Comment

Yeah, it takes a while to bleed them. Also make sure that the master cyl is actually coming back with the lever. You should feel the difference if it isn't, but you can eye ball it too.

Comment

What Dink said.

If the brakes were okay before you pulled the calipers, it's unlikely that your master just suddenly failed. Any fluid leaks around the master cylinder?

Is there no resistance at all on the lever or is it just spongy? I bet you still have some air trapped.

Comment

Had a tough time once bleeding the front brakes, try bleeding the line at the caliper first, then the caliper itself.

I don't know this would always work, but it was the only thing that seemed to work on the 1000L.

Dink is right, the master cylinder wouldn't suddenly fail due to bleeding.

Comment

Ok guys thank you and I'm glad you dont think its the master cylinder. Is the master cylinder the rubber casing with a metal piece fitted on the tip, which is actuated by the brake lever? Cause if so, its moving just fine. There is absolutely no pressure at all. In the Haynes book its says "Start by bleeding the left hand anti-dive unit, the left hand caliper, the right hand anti-dive unit and finally, the right hand caliper" I've bled it once. I will try bleeding a second time.

Greg: "try bleeding the line at the caliper first, then the caliper itself." Do I bleed the anit dive first the same way then the calipers?

Thanks again Guys[/quote]

Comment

bleeding bike brakes are a pain the but cause they dont move much fluid. its not like car brakes where you actually know something moved

Comment

Well guys I know for a fact that my master cylinder isnt gone. I have about 20% braking power in the front. I still have to bleed them tho. I do have a leak in the anti-dive hose end. (its late and I cant think of the name of the part) Its the end of the hose that attaches to the bolt, which leads fluid into the anti-dive system. Think I just have to play around with it tho.

Comment

Working...
                X