Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1150 Engine Rebuild

Guys,

I have an 1150 that I have decided to keep and build. I have upgraded my suspension to GSXR stuff. Probably back wards, but I getting ready to evalulate the motor-compression check, valves clearanc etc.

In the case of a rebuild, what would it cost for a complete "do it yourself" while of course farming out the machine work.

I have a spare motor that has a 1260 kit. It runs strong but I found some metal on the oil drain plug so I am concerned about the transmision (or whatever the metal came from). If I have to crack the cases, I want to refresh everthing.

Any experiences rebuilding would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I have almost the same question about my 82 1100GL. The engine runs strong though it has some problems. Aside from not idling unless it's really warmed up, I think I'm hearing a slight knock from the low end that may be a bearing problem. I'm thinking of opening it up and, as tyler1150 said, refresh everything. I'm not sure I'm up to doing very much of the work myself. What would a reasonable price be if I were to take it to my local dealer? Would it make sense to pull the engine myself to save some cost? I was also wondering if there are any shops that specialize in rebuilds that I could maybe take the enging to.

Comment

The crank alone is $6-700+ For a complete top to bottom rebuild I would allow $2.5K-3K add a $1K if you have the work done. It would save money if you pulled the engine your self For the $200-300 you may save I would have the shop do it start to finish Just so they can not blame you if it doesn't run right

Comment

1150 rebuild

Roughly, $150 for a complete gasket kit from Vesrah, Rings $150, intake boots $100, modified clutch hub $250, clutch plates and springs $130.

Careful with the long 6mm bolts on the top case half when reassembling. I broke one off after sealing the halfs back together. Had to do the Seinfeld "serenity now thing" and backtrack unsplit the case helicoil and reassemble. Carter
        GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Depending on what you find when you open it up and to what extent you want to modify the motor, it will range from about $300 (basically a gasket kit and some other basic parts) to $10,000 (full blown 1425 cc with smoothbores, Falicon crank work, etc.). If you find you have a bad transmission count on about $80 to a $100 per gear to replace. If you do all the work yourself, you will save 70%. Boring the cylinders is about $40 per cylinder, pistons and rings are between $450 and $800 per four piston set and if you get a monster block kit it will be in the $1100 to $1200 range. Clutch, carbs, cylinder head, etc...there is a lot of stuff you can do.

Shop around and you will get better prices. Until you crack open the cases, you will not know what you will have to lay out in cash.

Hap

Comment

I just finished rebuilding my 83 1100 es. I did all of the work except for the machine shop stuff. I purchased all of my parts from www.aperaceparts.com the total bill was around $2000.00. If you have a shop manual and can read, it is not very difficult to do the work yourself. You need some tools, but then you have them for ever. If you buy your piston kit from APE, they will bore the cylinders for $90.00, which is a great deal. If you buy a complete rebuild kit from them, you get a fairly good reduced price as opposed to buying things seperatly.

Comment

It would be hard to put thousands of dollars into a bike that I only paid $1,000 for. I'd probably be better off buying another bike and use the one I have for parts.

But if I do decide to repair the one I have... After reading the manuals, it looks like I could probably do it myself down to the crankshaft. What are the chances that the crank is OK and I would only need to replace the bearings? It sounds like the crankshaft and bearing work would be best done by a dealer.

It has a slight knock that's most noticeable at about 3,000 RPM. The rest of the engine and transmission seems good. So, to me, it sounds like a good plan to take the crank to the shop and decide from there whether it's worth finishing the engine repair. I may only have to replace the bearings.

Comment

what kind of metal did you find in the engine? My 1100s clutch basket nut was loose so a couple of the splines off of the lock washer fell off.

Steve

Comment

Chances are that the crank is in fine shape. You can expect to get 150K miles on a GS1100 or 1150 crank that comes from the factory welded.

Hap

Comment

Working...
                  X